Garmin vs Lowrance vs Raymarine

Zinger1972

Reaction score
I live in British Columbia and have just bought my first grady. I am trying to figure out which electronics package to go with. I am looking for a combination sonar/gps/radar. The Garmin touch screen 12" is my favorite so far but the boys have told me that the charts chip isn't as strong as others.
By the way, great website and thanks everyone for the advice.
Jeremy

catch22

Reaction score
Garmin gets my vote. Imo they're about the most user friendly system out there. Chart resolution is excellent imo.

Not a big fan of the touch screen models. With all the previous issues with the anti-glare screen coating wearing off, I can't see how constantly touching them wouldn't take it's toll. Maybe their screens are different, but I still prefer to use buttons.

There's some pretty good deals on bundles. A 4212 bundle, for example, (see link) will include the display, gps antenna, a gsd-22 sounder module and a gld-30 xm weather/radio module for around $2800. Add hd radar on for around $1100. You would need to purchase a transducer and maybe a chip seperately, but the total should be under $4500.

Instalation is pretty straight forward. Everything, (except the gps antenna) is connected using simple "plug and play" network cables, (ethernet).

4212 bundle - http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Garmin+4212+Bundle.html

HD radar, (36 mile) - http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Garmin+GMR+18+HD.html

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a lowrance and Furuno. The Furuno is my choice but it is also very exopensive. The one on my Sailfish was on it when I bought it. also installed a lowrance as a back-up but I prefer the Furuno due to the size of the screen. You also have a choice of what type of chip to use.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Generally like Garmin because they are easy to use. Good customer support too.

I am not sure about the touch screen. In a rocking boat it is easier to feel for a button than have a finger on a screen.

Seahunter

Reaction score
catch22 said:
Not a big fan of the touch screen models. With all the previous issues with the anti-glare screen coating wearing off, I can't see how constantly touching them wouldn't take it's toll. Maybe their screens are different, but I still prefer to use buttons.
No problems. The screens on the 52XX and 42XX are glass.

whitey

Reaction score
my albermarle has all raymarine equipment 2 c-120's and a 1k in hull transducer.this equipment is the best,if you ask me.i've heard alot of bad stuff about the raymarine units,all i can't say is don't believe it.

bc282

Reaction score
Zinger1972 said:
I live in British Columbia and have just bought my first grady. I am trying to figure out which electronics package to go with. I am looking for a combination sonar/gps/radar. The Garmin touch screen 12" is my favorite so far but the boys have told me that the charts chip isn't as strong as others.
By the way, great website and thanks everyone for the advice.
Jeremy

i know C-Map chart data is subpar for WCVI. Navionics Gold maps are very good on either Lowrance or RM (i've had or had Gold XL3 for Lowrance and RM for WVCI and so i know what is missing for the same area for CMAP). I'll have to check my Garmin Blue Chart on the PC to compare to Navionics, but i believe it's data quality is very good too.

PS. i don't get down to that part of the island much anymore since 2footitis got to me this summer. the bigger boat would be a real challenge to trailer to Port Renfrew from mid-island, but i do miss the good action at Renfrew and Swiftsure bank.

lgusto

Reaction score
I have the Raymarine C80 with GPS, FF, Weather and Radar. Nothing but trouble, radome went bad ($700), screen delaminated ($150), FF loses its mind and requires shutting off the batteries to restart, etc. etc. Too expensive to replace the whole system but my next boat will not have anything Raymarine on it.

james34

Reaction score
My advice would be for a plotter go with Garmin and sonar go with Furuno STAY AWAY FROM LOWRANCE!!

G8RDave

Reaction score
Lowrance had a bunch of issues with a group of its older machine (the 33x line I believe). They are also not known for great customer service. What they are known for is great sonars. I have an LCX 26hd and absolutely love it. I don't spend a lot of time tinkering with it as I'm more of a turn it on and go kinda guy, but it does everything I need. I got the NauticPath chip for for the chartplotter part. It is very accurate.

Most poeple feel Garmin is more user friendly, at least on the chart plotter side.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I have owned six different Lowrance LCX series on the last two boats I owned. Love the software and never had a problem with display heads. I hate the transducers. They work fine for a while, but I never had a LEI Ducer last more the 36 months. I operate about 300 hours a year, mostly offshore. Replaced the last ducer with a P66 Airmar and it was the bomb, absolutely outstanding. Right now I am fitting out the Canyon Draggin. Just installed the LRA 4000 open array, looks like I will be installing the new HDS10 next month with a 1kw Airmar through hull ducer. I have had both GREAT and bad experiences with customer service. On the good side,when I had problems they shipped me ducers over and over, no questions asked. I shipped the broken one back and they always confirmed that it was the ducer that was bad.
-
I also have used a lot of Furuno gear. Cant go wrong. Not a Garmin Fish Finder fan, not as good as others. Never used or owned Ray stuff.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the LCX 25c with an Airmar B60 and a Garmin GPS (the LCX is the back-up GPS). Bang for the buck it's hard to beat Lowrance units but people have had nightmares with their customer service (although some may be made up THT BS).

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
If you really want a combo unit go with the Garmin, but I would look at the 4212 rather than 5212 I find it much more user friendly and easy to operate than the touchscreen. Now if you don't mind having 2 sepereate units....go with the Garmin for plotter and Furuno for sounder and radar.....it's hands down the best in those 2 categories in my opinion!

Fred427

Reaction score
I have the Northstar 128 system with their 4K radome and its wonderful. The radar and sonar are razor sharp. It also has their floscan system and GPS. Its worked very well.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had Northstar, Raytheon, Raymarine and on the last boat i have Garmin 4212's. I think i made the best choice, f/f is not the greatest but when you get used to it it's o.k. I went with the 42 series cause i hate to see marks on the screen and also i think is easier to use. The radar (24HD) is amazing, better than the open aray i had before.