Gas assisted spring piston needed.

fishbust

Reaction score
I have 4 hatches with gas spring pistons. 2000 272. 1 is weak, shot, will no longer hold the hatch open on its own. Need a new one. Contacted Ameritool (decal on piston), they told me to contact Grady. Anyone have a part number for me?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No part number to help with. But maybe it's in a manual? If not, I'm sure any Grady dealer worth their salt can get you what you need with just a phone call. Otherwise, chances are the ball is a 10mm - you just have to look at the gas spring to see what the poundage is. Then measure the closed and extended length - it might even say that on the spring (12-20, for example... 12" and 20"). With that info, you can get springs at any marine store. You can double check the ball size by taking one off - either the ball or the spring - and either measuring it or taking one to a store to size it up.

Finatic

Reaction score
Check on Ebay under Grady White, Taylor Marine often lists them there. When I replaced mine I ordered from Ameritool and they were more expensive than what Taylor Marine lists them for on Ebay.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishbust said:
I have 4 hatches with gas spring pistons. 2000 272. 1 is weak, shot, will no longer hold the hatch open on its own. Need a new one. Contacted Ameritool (decal on piston), they told me to contact Grady. Anyone have a part number for me?

Please post your findings - my 1994 Sailfish didn't come with any gas spring pistons and I would like to add them. The battery hatch came with a spring-style holder (so the hatch will come down and clobber me if I bump it with my elbow). The other three hatches have nothing to hold them up.

Thanks,
-Scott

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I contacted Ameritool and they sent me to Lewis Marine in south FL.

The contact is Linda Chase
lchase@lewismarine.com
(772) 286-2118

She was very helpful in getting replacement parts - sending photos was helpful for her to identify the parts

Jeff

fishbust

Reaction score
jip40 said:
I contacted Ameritool and they sent me to Lewis Marine in south FL.

The contact is Linda Chase
lchase@lewismarine.com
(772) 286-2118

She was very helpful in getting replacement parts - sending photos was helpful for her to identify the parts

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, that is exactly what Ameritool told me.

The grady number is 625-3-30, Ameritool number is 10-296 for the 30 pound.
The grady number is 625-3-60, Ameritool number is 10-675 for the 60 pound.

I guessed ordering the 30 pound for my starboard side fishwell behind helm seat and guessed correctly. :)

It took a couple weeks to get the part delivered, so do not be in a hurry.

- Joe.