Gas can used for oil

greenhabah

Reaction score
Any issues using an old plastic gas can to bring the 2 stroke oil down to the boat?

It is clean and dry but still smells of gas.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I can't think of one, easier to pour too.

richie rich

Reaction score
why would you put 2 cycle oil in its original bottle/can into another plastic container in the first place? Are you planning on pre-mixing it with gas in this secondary container?

greenhabah

Reaction score
I usually poke a hole in the bottom of the 1 gallon containers to get it to flow better. I figure bringing one container down to the boat will be easier and it has a vent to help the flow.

I will have to see how much of a pita it is to pour from the container into the gas can to see if this is worth while.

I can also buy in bulk and avoid the double pour.

It was just a thought to try and make this process easier.

gw204

Reaction score
If you are marina-moored, just be prepared to get hassled by marina personnel. I have heard that some places don't want owners bringing in their own fuel if their is a pump at the end of the dock. So, they may see the gas can and assume that's what you're doing.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Like Brian said, local marinas don't want you gassing but they really don't want you to gas at the dock and blow up the place.

My marina did not sell gas, but I came down to the boat 204C with five x 6 gallon poly cans and lined then up on the walkaround, fit perfectly, tied the last one off with a rope.
Then I would gas up after pulling out into the channel well away from marina and wakes, then came back to the dock with 5 empty cans end of day, stored up on walkaround.

The owners talked to me but had nothing since I didn't gas at dock, which is prohibited. And they didn't sell gas. It is not illegal to cary portable gas cans in my car or into marina in my car or into boat from my car if approved for such use, as mine were 6 gallon wedcos.

Need less to say, others though I was gassing at dock and they would do the same but would actually gas at dock, back to car with cans. Owners never liked me much but kept an eye on me whenever I came to boat with the poly cans.

Red is supposed to be for gasoine as I believe a different color is for diesel (yellow?) as a different color is for fresh water (blue?).

If you go back to gas one one day just rinse a little gas first. I used the 6 gallon poly cans also for buying OMC bulk 2 cycle oil at dealer. Then transfer to several 1 gallon 2 cycle oil containers reused.

gw204

Reaction score
I think blue is kerosene and white is water.

You're a sneaky SOB Bob. :goodjob

greenhabah

Reaction score
I tried it this morning.....thought it was much easier than trying to pour 2 - 1 gallon containers into the boat.

We do have gas at the marina but I don't think I will be hassled. Plus it would take a ton of 2 1/2 gallon gas cans to fill 150 gallons.