Gas Cap Lock

HMBJack

Reaction score
I once had these key lock inserts that went into the space beneath the screw on gas cap.

The idea is to prevent a siphon from going down into your tank.

I misplaced the ones I had. Anyone know of the manufacturer and PN that fits a 330 gas intake?

Probably to the same for most Gradys. Curious. Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Probably not a bad idea given where prices are.

If I remember correctly, it was Perko that came out with that insert. I'm sure there are others available, though. But try googling for Perko.

seasick

Reaction score
You might want to try to siphon gas out first. On many boats, it is very difficult if not impossible to get a hose into the tank.

Reactions: HMBJack

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just remember to turn the keys in or take them out for winterization. I always forgot and was driving down to remove to treat the tanks.
Once time I was traveling for business, the dealer reached under the gunnel and disconnected the hose and treated the tanks that way.
If they want your gas, they will get it!

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The unfortunate part of outboard powered boats is the easiest way (though maybe not the fastest) is to disconnect the fuel line just past the primer bulb and use the bulb to prime a siphon. Easy access to the fuel lines in many cases. Just like in vehicles, you can have locking gas caps, but thieves have resorted to drilling holes in the fuel tanks... I'd prefer them just to siphon it if they are going to steal my gas.

seasick

Reaction score
The unfortunate part of outboard powered boats is the easiest way (though maybe not the fastest) is to disconnect the fuel line just past the primer bulb and use the bulb to prime a siphon. Easy access to the fuel lines in many cases. Just like in vehicles, you can have locking gas caps, but thieves have resorted to drilling holes in the fuel tanks... I'd prefer them just to siphon it if they are going to steal my gas.
If you have an anti-siphon valve on the tank, the gas won't siphon. You really need a fuel pump and even then, it can take a long time to pump out a tank through that hose. If someone wants to get 5 or 10 gallons, it's hard to stop them.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
If you have an anti-siphon valve on the tank, the gas won't siphon. You really need a fuel pump and even then, it can take a long time to pump out a tank through that hose. If someone wants to get 5 or 10 gallons, it's hard to stop them.
Yeah, it's not the fastest process... in fact really quite slow if you rely on a gravity feed through a 3/8" hose. Repeated pumping of the primer bulb makes it go faster... that's your "manual mechanical" fuel pump ;-)

Most anti-siphon valves require a vacuum of about 1.5 inches of mercury to open up as far as I'm aware, which could be done if the fuel line extended about 2.5 feet below the bottom of the tank. So it could be possible to overcome the anti-siphon valve on a boat on a trailer if your goal was to steal gas.

Fishtales

Reaction score
A parallel on cabin and other locks. I never use them. They only keep out you and other honest people. If they want your gas or stuff, they are not honest and they are going to be fast and destructive if they have to be.

seasick

Reaction score
A parallel on cabin and other locks. I never use them. They only keep out you and other honest people. If they want your gas or stuff, they are not honest and they are going to be fast and destructive if they have to be.
You make a good point. I know a lot of boaters who never lock their cabins because a determined thief will do a lot of damage to break in and they will break in if desperate enough.