gas flow and battery charge questions

finnaddict

Reaction score
Hello All .New to Me boat has twin 250 with a tank selector switch for each .When I picked up the boat one engine was on the main tank and the other was on the aux.Is that a standard way of running?The second question is when at the dock and hooked up to 120 v shore power what position do you leave your battery switches in to charge and use 12 v system? Thanks for any help.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
most guys use aux then switch over because the of the gas tanks and when riding on boat, it is better to have weight on the back

richie rich

Reaction score
yes and no...I agree that I'd go aux to main, but my aux is in the rear and the main is more towards midship....I would say I'd like midship weight as much and long as possible, no? Closer to the cg and neutral in effect....my boat likes that set up.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I also prefer the main tank loaded for the better ride, but do use both tanks at same time.

If you are ever concerned with taking on bad fuel, only fill one tank at station and run only one motor on that tank until confident in quality (suitable tip for twins).

To the OP, make sure you are using up your gas, especially if not the offshore usage type.

Keep all gas as fresh as reasonably possible. And treat all fuel with stabilzer year round (even more important for low fuel users).

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My main tank is also forward. I typically use the auxillary tank just to keep the stern from being as low in the water.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I only burn off of 1 tank at a time and alternate them with each fill up. As the main gets low I switch to Aux and fill main, etc. As far as the batteries, the position switch does not matter. The on-board charger is connected directly to the battery and will sense and charge a low battery regardless of the position, even if they are turned off.

georgemjr

Reaction score
BTW: Grady recommends one switch to battery one, and the other to battery two. I believe it is port to 2, starboard to 1 (I just point each one to the side of the boat it is on. This allows each engine to charge a single bank of batteries. This does not affect which batteries you are drawing from. The electronic devices you use pull from the "house" battery bank regardless of what position the switch is in.