Gas Leak / Possible Vent?

Spawn Bag

Reaction score
Filled up the auxiliary tank on my 226 while on the trailer. I was sure to not over fill. I put the in my driveway and left it for a couple days before I could get out. When I rolled up the curtains and went under the hardtop i could smell gas for the first time ever. Went fishing and had to deal with the smell and fair of a leak all day.When I pulled the boat there was the obvious presence of gas in the bilge. I parked the boat again at home and the smell seems to be gone a couple days later.

My guess - I filled the boat and it was cool out. I put the boat in my driveway and the temps got over 80. Im thinking that the gas expanded and it came out of the vent somehow. Im wondering what everyone else thinks. Im also wondering if anyone knows where the vent hose goes when it comes off the tank. I only have one vent that I know of and it is the vent for the toilet.

Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't know if there were changes made to venting systems over the years with your model (or even newer Grady's, in general), nor what year your boat is, but there are different kinds of vents out there. Not all manufacturer's use the old-style, separately located, thru-hull style vent. Many, over the years, have changed to a vent that is built into the fuel fill/cap. Could you have that style? Look at the back side of your fuel fill - if you see two lines, one big and one small, you have the 'all-in-one'. If not, there will be another vent fitting on the outside of the boat.

Regardless, a vent WILL NOT be located such that fuel would spill back into the boat - it MUST be vented overboard. So, while it's plausible that you could have a fuel smell after filling, it should dissipate quickly once you're moving and in NO WAY should you have a fuel smell in the bilge. Again, without knowing the age of your boat, I would look into a leaking tank, sending unit gasket, plugs on the tank, fuel fill/vent hose connection at the tank and fuel fill fitting, and lastly, even a hole in a one of the hoses.

This is something you want to put at #1 on your priority list and get it fixed before you go boating again.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The vent is part of the filler cap assembly.

If you have obvious presence of fuel in the bilge, you have a leak. It's possible it's the tank, but it's doubtful if yours is a fresh water boat. More likely, ethanol has eaten through either a fuel fill hose, vent hose or fuel line leading to the water separator and from there to the engine(s).

Still, it's interesting that you only smelled it after you filled the boat. Fuel does expand with heat and you could have had a situation where fuel expanded and got past the sending unit gasket and into the bilge.

Regardless - finding and fixing the leak should be a priority.

Spawn Bag

Reaction score
I went by the place where I store the boat (inside storage) and got into the boat under the hard top and inside the canvas and there was no smell. Crazy consdering the strong smell the other day. Either way it's my top priority and I will post the outcome.

Any tips on inspection? I'm going to start with the obvious by looking inside access panels to inspect clamps and the float assembly. If I recall the hoses are hard to follow.

Thanks