Gas question from new owner of older boat

gasawdust

Reaction score
Hi folks,
New owner of an older but good shapre 90' 228g with '90 Yamaha 225. Gassed up 50 gal in the aux and 50 in the main tank and got on the water for the first time today. All was going well after running a couple of hours on the aux tank but I decided to switch to the main tank and and the engine did not like that at all. No sputter just a quick bog down and no life in the engine. Called a buddy to assist and we cleared the seperator of a lot of water and cleared the line from the siphon to the bowl under the cowling. Finally got a prime to the aux tank again and she fired right up.
I have to add that I've been away from boats for the last 25 years and today was my first experience on the water in my own boat since then. Not sure what to do now, aside from not trying to use the gas in the main tank.
So to my question. Is the gas in the main tank a complete loss, is their a simple fix with an additive, or are their other options?
Appreciate your advice.

Tom

sraab928

Reaction score
Welcome back to boats....

I just dealt with this problem myself - you basically have to pump that hose from the main tank into a can until you stop getting water - The water will separate from the fuel and go to the bottom of the tank. Then you will need to figure out how it got in there. In my case it was a faulty o ring on the gas cap.

Here is the thread for your reference
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

gasawdust

Reaction score
Thanks,
Tanks are fairly new (2001) from Florida Marine Tanks so I don't think corrosion is an issue. The former owner said something about having an issue last year with some bad gas in one of the tanks. Guess I should have asked more questions and drained them before using.
Sounds like some work ahead of me to fix this. Too much to ask for a quick fix.
..........back to owning a hole in the water you fill-in with money. :)

sraab928

Reaction score
BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand...

Welcome back to the club friend..... its not all bad though - there really is much more good than bad.