Gas Refund or Lack of One

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Not sure how many of you can take advantage of a tax rebate for gas and diesel. Massachusetts had such a rebate that was advertised as $0.21 per gallon for gas. Not bad eh?

Well, as with most govt tax things, the devil is in the detail. After figuring out your rebate (# gallons used X 21 cents), you had to deduct a "use tax" which was 5% of the gas price.

Needless to say, it halved the rebate for most of us when gas was in the $2 range, but all but eliminates it when gas is $4. Just another way to whack it to boating public.

So, if you have such a rebate, check the calculations, you may find that like Massachusetts - it is a myth now.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Same here is CT - You get back 25 cents road use tax per gallon on gas - but have to average out and pay 6% sales tax - therefore a little over $4 per gallon and you owe the state money!

I paid $4.88 the last time I filled up - total bill was north of 1K

Tim

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I filled up at the peak of prices in July(130 gallons @ $4.70), went on line and got the form from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts. When all was said and done if I filed for the rebate I would have had to send the state a check for something like $6. Classic Massachusetts.

engineersx2

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
you guys from further up north are making me feel glad to live in VA. Just topped off the tank yesterday at Oceans Marine in Portsmouth Va. at $3.85 (that included a 10% discount for annual dry storage customers).

I have been saving my receipts, as I recall in VA. we get a rebate of $0.17/gallon.

I will say that as someone that works in the Transportation industry in VA. one of the major problems with VA. roads is the gas tax has not kept up with inflation as ours too is tied to gallons and not a percentage. Come to VA. and check out the conditions of our roads/ not a pretty site and forget about building new roads... but back to Boating, just nice to see gas under $4 /gallon. AT the local stations on the road, I see where today it was $3.45/gal. With any luck it will keep dropping so that we can spend less on fuel when the Ches. Bay striper season starts.

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Fuel cost

I bought fuel at Burrs Marina in New London CT last week. Posted price was $4.69, less a dime for dock customers. I charged it on the Shell card and that gives me an additional 5% off.

Now if I use more than the 200 gallons gas as "off road", I can file for the $0.25 back from the state.