Gas Shock Spring Brackets Hatch lids

steveditt

Reaction score
1998 208 considering installing gas shock spring brackets to both fish live well and cooler hatches ,GW has been helpful but was wondering if anyone on the site installed them and has some tips .

G8RDave

Reaction score
I just replaced the gas tube shocks on my 228. Maybe I could help. What are your questions? You just need two brackets per lid and the right powered shock.

steveditt

Reaction score
I need to install everything ,brackets ,latches ,and shocks , I was hoping it was sold as kit with instructions but that's not the case .Not sure if different model hatches,live well/cooler are the same size .Not much info online for this conversion/upgrade .

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No way to have a "kit" (other than if it was an OEM option and you're simply replacing) - too many variables. But as mentioned it's pretty straight forward. One other thing you'll need to do, though, is add a block (wood, fiberglass, starboard, whatever) to the mounting location of at least the hatch. That's if you don't want to see the heads of through bolts on the topside of your hatch. If you don't care about seeing them, then you can skip that step. Measure your closed and opened distance between where you want the mounts to be and compare that to the specs on whatever brand/style gas spring you choose to go with. Probably a 20lb spring. Be sure to get the right size brackets, again based on the spring specs. Also take into account where/how the brackets will mount so you get the correct style.

steveditt

Reaction score
GW REP spoke of a 3/4 fiberglass block I was confused where this was needed but now understand , GW said they would send some pictures and would attempt a template from a new installation . Always impressed with customer service.