Gas station fuel and additives?

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There may be a thread on this but if so, I missed it. I just pruchased a 1997 Islander with 2 - 150 97' Evinrudes. I have asked a couple people about fueling up at gas stations and what I should do to offset the ethanol content. I have gotten conflicting answers. What does everone else do?

thanks yb

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just fill up and use marine stabil. I think that is how it is spelled.
1 oz per 5 gallons. and bottle says you can't overtreat.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
High Octane!

Yellow Boy! A good question that will probably stir up a storm of input. My situation is a little different as I am running a 300 horsepower 350. It runs very well on BP Premium with STP gas treament added @ the rate of 1 bottle per 15 gallons of fuel and for good measure I add a bottle of octane booster @ 1 bottle per 30 gallons. Have never had a fuel issue and the 350 purrs like a happy cat! 8)

Barlow46

Reaction score
Re: High Octane!

JUMPNJACK said:
Yellow Boy! A good question that will probably stir up a storm of input. My situation is a little different as I am running a 300 horsepower 350. It runs very well on BP Premium with STP gas treament added @ the rate of 1 bottle per 15 gallons of fuel and for good measure I add a bottle of octane booster @ 1 bottle per 30 gallons. Have never had a fuel issue and the 350 purrs like a happy cat! 8)

Not sure how accurate the following information is but it does make sense regarding alcohol treatment products.
http://www.fuel-testers.com/fuel_additi ... ments.html

List of additives: http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_addi ... _list.html

I have used PRI-G and PRI-D for years in both my diesel engines and gas engines with no problems yet. (KOW)

J-cubed

Reaction score
I also use PRI-G with every fill up (one ounce per 16 gallons). I seems to work great and it is very cost effective.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Johnson 200 HP motor and buy my fuel at local gas stations almost exclusively. I've been doing this for nearly 4 years now (and I use the boat year round) without any issues. I do add Startron but don't really believe it does much.

Once in a while I'll have to buy fuel at a marina but around here most now sell non-ethanol fuel which runs me into the don't mix issue. I don't buy the argument because ethanol is added when the tanker is loaded plus it can only reduce the percentage of ethanol in my tank. I haven't had any issues from the several times I've done it nor have I seen any difference in performance.

Gary 89 Overnighter

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you have water in the non-ethanol gas tank, which you most certainly will have, it will be at the bottom only, in any quantity.
The two do not stay mixed.

The ethanol fuel is like a massive dry gas injection, for which the water will be absored into the alcohol and may phase separate depending on how much water is in there.

Non-ethanol fuel cannot phase separate, ethanol can and does.

When it does, trouble trouble trouble.
When it doesn't, one would never know ethanol is in there vs. any other fuel.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
J-cubed said:
I also use PRI-G with every fill up (one ounce per 16 gallons). I seems to work great and it is very cost effective.

I like PRI-G too, but its getting tough to find. Boaters World and West both stocked it....obviously BW stores are gone, and West no longer carries it.

I may try the Phase4 CRC treatement this time around. West carries it.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Parthery said:
J-cubed said:

I like PRI-G too, but its getting tough to find. Boaters World and West both stocked it....obviously BW stores are gone, and West no longer carries it.

I may try the Phase4 CRC treatement this time around. West carries it.
Parthery,
Try batterystuff.com and click on fuel treatments. That's where I get my Pri G and it's a good price. Hope it works for you.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yamaha recommends their new Ringfree+ product for ethanol containing fuel. It is the usual polyether amine (Techron) formulation plus an additive that combats the corrosive properties of ethanol on engine and fuel system components. Other than that, they recommend keeping the tank 95% full and using a stabilizer if you store the fuel for over 2 months. StaBil is a time tested additive that will stabilize your fuel. But it does nothing to prevent water absorption or phase separation.

If you have enough water in your fuel to cause phase separation, there is no additive that will safely allow you to run that through your engine. Many of the aftermarket additives use chemistries that are suspect. Using them on a regular basis will likely shorten the life of your engines. The Fuel Testers link posted above has some good info.

SCAdventure

Reaction score
The Station by our lake has only ethanol-free fuel. All the boats go there to fill up. Costs about 10 cents more per gallon.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you can get ethanol free fuel (not all states can sell it), definitely use it. Just add StaBil and you'll be good to go.

grady23

Reaction score
SCAdventure said:
The Station by our lake has only ethanol-free fuel. All the boats go there to fill up. Costs about 10 cents more per gallon.
BELIEVE ME --- It's worth every DIME and More!

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have 4 or five gastation near my ramp, I used the below method to find out who has the least ethanol, and the report is unreal. Hense I only get the Lukoil gas. I did these test three month apart
http://www.ehow.com/how_4598588_test-et ... ntent.html

WAWA: Rt 70 manahawkin, nj
Month 1: 18% Month2: 16% Month3 19%

EXXON
Rt 70 Manahawkin
Month1 11% Month 2 13% Month3 9%

Gulf: Rt 70 Manahawkin
Month1 13% Month2 9% Month3 10%

Lukoil GSP forked River rest area

Month1 10% Month2 9% Month3 10%

Lukoil Barnegat, Ebay ave

Month1 10% Month2 8% Month3 8%

I know this is the poor mans test but I stopped having problems using the one gas station only.

ahill

Reaction score
My Evinrude mechanic says that his customer that use BP & MObil have not had an ethanol problem. I never switced to ethanol on my Sailfish but did on my 17 Mako. Even with 10 mic filter and Startron I had a problem. Now I only use Marina gas in both. A little more $$ upfront but peace of mind running to remote areas.