Gas tank capacity

wlewis

Reaction score
I noticed the new (presumably 2014 model) Freedom 225 gas tank capacity is 89 gal, whereas it used to be 96. Nothing else on the boat appears to have changed. Why did the change it? Could there have been an underdeck structural change that could have necessitated a change in tank size?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just a guess.... Did the max hp rating change? Maybe they need room to beef up the transom?

wlewis

Reaction score
No. 300 is still the max. On my 2011 model, there is about 2 feet of bilge space between the gas tank and stern bulkhead in front of transom. Would be curious to see the 2014's configuration.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I know when the Marlin went from 600hp to 700hp in 2008, the fuel tank dropped from 306gal (156 and 150) to 300gal. Maybe done to have the tanks the same size for Mfg efficiency or just a coincidence? If not for the HP increase, guess it might be to give additional option space or allow batteries or something to move to distribute load better?. Ask GW Cust service, I'm sure they can tell you.

gulfcart

Reaction score
EPA required all tanks to have a percentage of tank for expansion. I believe it is now a closed system. They are now baffled so you can't fill 100%. My 36 is only 344 instead of 370 like they used to.

wlewis

Reaction score
Gulfcart,
You are correct. I checked with Grady Customer service and received the following quick response;

The EPA set new regulations for the 2014 model year requiring all manufactures to install new designed “no spill” fuel systems. The fuel tank of the 225 is the same physical size as last years but the 2014 tanks feature a valve inside the tank that restricts the amount of fuel it can contain. This valve prevents the fuel in a topped of tank from expanding to the point that it can travel into to the vent line and then spill overboard. This valve feature is the reason that the tank holds 7 gallons less.

This system also includes a valve in the fill line the prevents backflow through the fill fitting when fueling. Together the two valves prevent accidental spills.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm glad the Gov't is looking after us. I love the way they screwed up propane bottles, portable gas cans, on and on.