Gas Tank fuel pickup

Timsjag

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hi All, I have a rather perplexing issue with my gas tank fuel pick up. I have a 1995 Islander 26.8 with a 134 gallon fuel tank. I wanted to ensure that the fuel tank pickup was not partially clogged so I took out the pick up tube (and anti siphon valve). Well that's what I thought I was doing, there was no tube that came out with the 90 degree fitting. When I look in the hole there looks to be a tube there. Having never experience this before, all other that I have work on had a tube attached to the 90 degree fitting.

So here is my questions. 1) has anyone else experience this? 2) is the pick up tube fixed to the fitting that is welded to the top of the tank? 3) if NO to question 2, how do I get the pick up tube out?

The 90 degree fitting seems to have a shoulder inside but it does not look like the tube has recently been exasperated as it is discolored. And the motor was running prior to me taking this apart.

Right now the boat is sitting on the mooring with no fuel so any suggestions/answers would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My guess, without seeing it, is that you are looking at the fuel tank vent, and not the pick up.

Timsjag

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I thought of that, but I have two inspection plates the forward one gives access to the hose for putting in gas and the vent, the rear one gives access to the fuel gauge sending unit and what I "think" is the fuel to engine hose. It did have an anti-siphon valve on the 90 degree elbow. There is a second hole (plugged) that I can get a new pickup tube for but was wondering what is going on with the one that had the elbow in it?

Tom

seasick

Reaction score
The pickup and vent fittings are on opposite ends of the tank. It would be difficult to get them mixed up.
Since the motor ran, there has to be a pickup tube/ It could be part of the tank. It should be easy to tell if you took off the elbow. Stick a still wire in the hole and see if the wire cab be tilted off center. If there is a tube, you should feel the wire hitting it.

I am not sure what problem you are having that made you look at the pickup.
If the pickup has a screen and it is clogged, blowing some air into the tube usually clears it out.
If you have fuel flow issues, the anti-siphon valve is more likely bad than the pickup tube.
Are you have fuel issues. If you suspect the tank, run on a portable tank and see what happens,

Divajean

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The pickup and vent fittings are on opposite ends of the tank. It would be difficult to get them mixed up.
Since the motor ran, there has to be a pickup tube/ It could be part of the tank. It should be easy to tell if you took off the elbow. Stick a still wire in the hole and see if the wire cab be tilted off center. If there is a tube, you should feel the wire hitting it.

I am not sure what problem you are having that made you look at the pickup.
If the pickup has a screen and it is clogged, blowing some air into the tube usually clears it out.
If you have fuel flow issues, the anti-siphon valve is more likely bad than the pickup tube.
Are you have fuel issues. If you suspect the tank, run on a portable tank and see what happens,
The pickup tube on my 92 seafarer is welded to the tanks,the 90 fitting threads into pickup tube, I lost my fuel prime on main tank,we found a crack at bottom of weld letting it suck air, we moved pickup 90 to other. Tube and plugged the cracked one,hope this helps

Timsjag

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks for the idea of using a small wire to see if I can move it from side to side. If I hit something that means the pick up is part of the tank. I did use a remote tank and the engine ran better that is why I took off the 90 in the first place. The anti-siphon seems OK but I'll replace it anyway. If all else fails I can get another fitting an install it in the other hole, at least that is what I think that other fitting is.

Timsjag

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Also, forgot to say that I did a bit of damage to the 90 degree fitting. The wrench slipped and partially collapsed the side wall so It will not take the anti-siphon valve. I "hope" that there is nothing special about it as I purchased another one, same thread (brass) but slightly different.

Timsjag

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hi All, thanks for the help. As several pointed out it is a factory setup for the fuel pickup tube to be part of the tank. I verify with a small wire as suggested. Both tank access point are the same. I did clean up the anti-siphon valve and will replace it once the boat is out of the water and will blow out the tube to clear any obstruction in the tube. I was able to get about 2-300 more rpm by doing this.

Again thanks to all, it is great to have a place like this got get information ....

Tom