Gas tank, main/aux, Valve location

Cadeco

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hi guys. Another question: I have a 1998 268 Islander and seems like the former owner did some stuff that i was not aware (removing the main tank was one of those) so, I will be here asking many questions. this one is: Does any owner of an Islander know (of course yes) where the location for the gas valve is located (if possible, photos)?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 1997 Islander 268. On the port side lift the lid on the corner compartment. Lift the "trash bucket" out. My valves are right there on the forward side accessible from above.

.Fuel Valves.jpeg

Cadeco

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks Hookup1. Went to see the boat and on the port side compartment I have no "trash bucket" and i see nowhere a hint of those valves. I asked the mechanic and he says that "maybe " there was no other gas tank since there is only one location to fill up. Is that correct ? could that be the reason why there is not valves?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
On my boat there are two fuel fills next to each other on the starboard side. The fuel fills go direct to the tank along with a vent hose.

The fuel pickups and hoses go to the aft port corner where the trash buck is. Underneath it is the valves. The hoses from the valves go down to the fuel filters (port side) that are underneath the center seat where the batteries are.

I'm surprised that there isn't at least a valve there to shut the fuel off. Try following the fuel line from the engine back to the filter and back from there to see where it goes.

Quick look at GW manual for 268 doesn't show anything. You may want to look it over again.

Lastly - if any other 268 Islander owners with single tanks see this post let us know if/how your valves are setup.

Cadeco

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yes, somehow there is no two fuel fills (space.jpgonly one and i have no trash bucket)

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yes, somehow there is no two fuel fills (View attachment 24901only one and i have no trash bucket)
What/where am I looking at? I see the fuel fill but it looks like they put it in a different place on your boat. Mine are mid-ship starboard side on the gunnel in a small recess.

I assume there is a Yamaha can fuel filter. Did you trace the hoses? The hoses from the fuel tank exit the fuel compartment on the aft port side. They go to the valves, then the filter, then to the primer bulb and then to the engine.

Last edited:

Cadeco

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks. I will do ( as soon as it comes back from the shop)