Gas tank position

jelway2

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This is only my second post so forgive my etiquette. I have a 1984 24 ft offshore. There are two gas tanks, the forward is 60gql and the aft is 90gals. For my purpose I will only need to ever use one tank. Which tank would be best for weight distribution, handling, etc? Obviously size isn't the main issue for this question. I'm even wondering if I should alternate using the two tanks?? The boat will never stay the night in the water. I will be able to fill her up after each use. Thanks for any tips & advice.

seasick

Reaction score
There is no simple answer since it depends on all the loads typically on the boat ( people and gear mainly), engine model, engine mounting ( transom or bracket) etc.
It may turn out that having some gas in both tanks offers the best solution.
My recommendation is to try different configs and see if any feel better than the others. I also strongly recommend that if you keep gas in both tanks, even just a little in one, you alternate usage and add new gas so that one tank doesn't go stale on you

Punch53

Reaction score
I would try to keep the weight forward.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
From what i've seen here, on that size Grady the fwd tank was optional...so they expected the weight aft?

Its an 84. Its your boat.
If you are never going to use 150 gallons, then consider removing a tank...or both (they are probably corroded) and put in one generic plastic tank that fits and use the extra space for storage.:)

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have run 2 different Offshores....'82 and '85. I had to replace the tanks in both. $$ concerns caused me to only replace the main (rear, larger) on both. I also installed a swingback cooler seat apx 3.5 ft forward of the splashboard. It worked for me but I will say that with a guy sitting in that aft seat and a good load of fuel it took quite a bit more throttle to get her up on plane. Having said that....I fish long days and need to carry more than 60 gal fuel.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have an Offshore -- although technically it started it's life as a Weekender (stern drive) - but now it is an Offshore. The engine is on a bracket and I have only the fwd 92g tank. I have absolutely zero problems - hole shot and performance on plane is fantastic. I guess depending on how far you plan on going or how often you will be using the boat will depend on whether or not you use both tanks and also which tank you decide to use.

jelway2

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I really appreciated everyone's input. I know this is a very objective question. Guess it's experimentation time. Thanks again.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have an Offshore -- although technically it started it's life as a Weekender (stern drive) - but now it is an Offshore. The engine is on a bracket and I have only the fwd 92g tank. I have absolutely zero problems - hole shot and performance on plane is fantastic. I guess depending on how far you plan on going or how often you will be using the boat will depend on whether or not you use both tanks and also which tank you decide to use.

Dennis.....i believe the tank configuration must be different in your modified weekender....my Offshores of that vintage both had a 93 gal rear main and smaller forward Aux tank..?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Dennis.....i believe the tank configuration must be different in your modified weekender....my Offshores of that vintage both had a 93 gal rear main and smaller forward Aux tank..?
Yes. Although I believe having two tanks would have been an option. But I believe the reason the larger tank is forward is because there was originally a stern drive in the back of the boat.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Maybe run the tanks down and try some trial runs with sandbags fore or aft to simulate a full tank in either location?