gas tank removal/inspection

QuickFix

Reaction score
I found fuel in the bilge of my 87 seafarer so I inspected the top of the tank and hoses and did not observe a problem so I put 4lbs of pressure which the tank held overnight. The tank had been filled prior to a fishing trip and approximately 45 gallons were burned leaving 45+ in the tank so I decided to fill the tank back up but when the boat was tilted back and moved with the lift fuel was again in the bilge.

Is it possible that a tank can hold pressure and still have a leak? Also, will the tank come out of the access hatch as it appears to be larger than the opening.

Thanks,

Tim

QuickFix

Reaction score
Not to sound like a total dumb a$$ - but the moter ran great so I did not think to check the Racor/filters. I am headed over to check it right now. If I had a leak at the filter would the motor starve for fuel?

Thanks,

Tim

LI Grady

Reaction score
It depends on the size of the leak. It doesn't take much gas in the bilge (when added to normal water down there) to give the impression of a major leak.

Little Buddy

Reaction score
How did you apply the 4 psi? Did you plug off all inlets and outlets and then apply pressure and close off inlet air. If you did it this way and the pressure gage held 4 psi, you don't have a leak in the tank.

The fuel filters can corrode and leak as mentioned above. The filler or vent hoses could be leaking.

QuickFix

Reaction score
fueltankgwseafarer015.jpg

I think I found the problem. Apparently the tank has been repaired with some epoxy and is now leaking at the repair as I can see fuel stains have traveled down the bottom of the tank from the repaired area.

When replacing, should I use those neoprene strips under the tank? I can see that the tank was pitting where these strips were.

Thanks,

Tim[/img]

richie rich

Reaction score
when using the neoprene strips, the new practice is to use 5200 and glue the strip onto the tank. this way when the tank moves, the friction will be between the neoprene strip and the supporting surface or stringer. In the old way, if the strip was simply left loose, the friction would take place between the neoprene and the tank, which caused wear on the aluminum and eventually a hole. Check out a website called SPtanks.com They make fuel tanks and have a page showing the proper installation of a fuel tank and neoprene rubber strips.