gas tank replacement 87 sailfish 255

jerseyben

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
i am about to put the new tanks in and each time i think i have it figured out i don't, , I cut an access hole to get to the hose clamps at the fill caps and vents but the way they put them on and what little space I still can not get to all of them should i just start cutting them off and if that works do i attach the hose together at that point and try to pull them to the compartments what sounded simple when i started doesn't seem so simple now any tips from guys who done it would be appreciated thanks

seasick

Reaction score
It may be easier to pull from one direction as opposed to the other. My fuel lines are tie wrapped to the hull about halfway along the run. I can get to that with difficulty through a nearby access plate. The connecting ends will have to be cut ( sliced perhaps) to remove the hose, it will not slide off without making a cut.
It may help to remove the gas fill assembly and reinstall after the gas tank hose connections are made and the hoses can be trimmed to the correct length.
Two sets of hands will help a lot. The old gas and vent will be a lot stiffer than the new one.
Is you fuel fill a combo model ( fill and vent?)
Make sure you understand how the old vent line was run, especially if it has an upward loop. Make sure to avoid any downward loops that can trap gas and cause filling or venting blockages.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I cut a 4 inch access hole near the deck fills.....I only had 2 hose clamps to deal with. Could you possibly have more? After the hose clamps are off take out the deck fills.

I then sprayed the hose as much as I could with WD40 to help loosen it up. I drilled 2 small holes near the end of each hose...old and new....down in the bilge....wired them together end to end TIGHTLY...then taped over the joint to make it as smooth as possible. Then with the help of my nephew pulled the new hose from bottom to top. Worked for me.
Good luck.