Gas Tank replacement? - please advise

marsimi

Reaction score
Gents -

I was having some work done on a 98 (replacing the fuel senders) and the mechanic indicated that there was a fair amount of pitting around the sender hole. He does not think that the new gasket will seal and indicated that in this case the entire tank (150gal) aluminum tank should be replaced. Because we will have the deck covers up it would also make sense to replace the aux tank (also 150) and hoses fuel lines etc etc etc. the tank is pitted - and I do trust him - but wanted a second opinion if anyone can help.
:hmm

When is it time to replace if it is not leaking?

marsimi

Reaction score
Thanks - I will continue to ask around. I do not mind being safe, but also just put 2k into the steeting (new arms and helm) so I am a litle worn out this fall.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
A '20-20' inspection' trumps 'rule of thumb', corrosion and pitting will not get better. If the sender won't seal, it's a no-brainer. If a gasket has to be manipulated to seal, it's a no-brainer. If peace of mind is important, it's a no-brainer ... :sorry

greenhabah

Reaction score
I agree that it is a no brainer on that tank.....don't want gas and fumes exiting nor water entering the tank.

Can wait to see what the bottom of the tank looks like before pulling the aux.

Could empty it completely and run off the aux until next winter.

You have some options on how much money is spent this year or over a couple of years.
But this isn't the best place to cheap out.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
marsimi said:
When is it time to replace if it is not leaking?

For non-leaking 12+ year old tanks, it's just a matter of opinion if the corrosion and pitting has progressed to the point where tank replacement makes sense. If you can post pictures, those on this forum that have "been there and done that" may share their views. For comparison purposes, you may search this forum (and others) for pictures of tanks that have leaked and have been replaced, so that you can compare yours and make an informed decision.

marsimi

Reaction score
thanks for the input gentlemen. I do not have pictures but will try to get some. Based on what we have here and a couple of calls to grady dealers (only got through to one due to the holidays) it sounds like I should have them pulled and replaced.