Gas tank replacement

amr72

Reaction score
Am looking to replace my original gas tanks with a single tank around 200 gallons. Of course I would change all the fuel lines as well. Can anyone advise me on what a fair price would be for this job and perhaps any recommendations for someone in the North/Central Jersey area. Thanks.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Will a single 200 fit? It has to tilt under the helm area and may not fit.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I agree with Grog, the aux comes out first straight up, then slide back the main and tilt up rear end first.
The main goes well under bridge.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A single tank would be difficult to install, not that one would fit but the installation would be difficult as both above members mentioned, to have a single tank fit and be installed its likely you will need a smaller single tank to be able to angle it into place unless you plan to cut into the deck which honestly is hardly worth it. A friend of mine just had a 100gal saddle tank built in Barnegat, NJ, I will try and get the name of the tank builder, they are installing it as well. He used to work in the boat business and his boatyard used them exclusively, he has nothing but good things to say about them. I will have the name by the weekend for sure. His 100gal tank was roughly $1000 plus installation, if your paying for over 2 hrs install your being ripped off, removal is another story that adds cost too but installing a tank is not difficult nor a long job for an experienced crew. I don;t want to estimate the price of a 200gal tank, I think the dimensions as well as the quality of the materials used will all effect the overall price. Buy a tank that will last longer then you plan to keep the boat!!

amr72

Reaction score
I don't necessarily need 200 gallons. I would like the largest that would fit. Maybe a 175? That would be plenty. I am sure with all the sailfishes around that this must have been done before. If you took the shape of the 150 gallon tank and just extended the aft end to take up some of the space used by the aux then I would think you could get another 20 gallons or so. Maybe 170-190 gallons, something like that would be fine. Keep the ideas coming...thanks.

richie rich

Reaction score
what are you going to do about the structural bulhead in between the 2 existing tanks? Also I belive the second smaller tank is shorter than the main....so a 1 piece tank will need a taper as well or the stringer base will need to be replaced to keep a uniform height.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On my '91 there isn't a bulkhead between the two tanks. The 50 gallon tank is not as tall as the 150 so you can gain some shoe-in room by having a step in the foreward part of the tank. The boat will sit differently too because the weight will be spread out over the whole area instead of mostly foreward if you ususally use the main tank. For all the hastle and fabrication, it may not be worth it.

richie rich

Reaction score
Grog...if there is no bulkhead, what supports that side or "ends" of both fuel tanks? Is there some sort of fastening system at the hull holding the tanks in place?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
AMR, I had (myself)the tanks out and back in, they are that tight.

Major reconstruction/modification of the rear bulkhead or bridge (ie. rock and hard place) is not considered an option in my view.

One can most certainly find out right away as soon as access is provided by removing rear tank, then sliding back the main all the way till no more room to go (rear bulkhead).

It will be clear as day at that point.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
richie rich said:
Grog...if there is no bulkhead, what supports that side or "ends" of both fuel tanks? Is there some sort of fastening system at the hull holding the tanks in place?

There's a foreward and rear bulkhead with (2) 2X4's wedged and toenailed between the main and aux tanks. One board by the middle and 2 boards (one between the tanks and one to help support the floor) at the top. If you don't pull out the aux tank, I can't see how you can get the main tank out. Putting 2 screws through the stringer from the deck side for the aux tank hold-down was a cruel joke.

richie rich

Reaction score
Putting 2 screws through the stringer from the deck side for the aux tank hold-down was a cruel joke.

and then some.....fastening into structural members at or near the waterline is never a good thing...hence the issues we hear about on the older boats...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Did you pull that all out?

The 2 x 4 keeps it down and has a 1/2 in. ply attached to it going down between tanks to serve as spacer with usual neoprene strip as contact to tanks. The two tanks change height since going toward stern lowers tank compartment overall height. So te 2x 4 keep the forward tank from sliding back.

That takes care of the front tie down, the back corners have blocks screwed from the opposite side of main stringers, I had to make new blocks and use rear bulkhead instead when going back. I may have used wedges instead, don't recall. I did use corner bocks on main tank forward.

The design works.

They are plenty heavy as is to stay down anyway.
Can't move side to side with wedges in place.

Grady supports main tank cover mid span from tank top via the (two) 2 x 4s at specific points where the tank has full height stiffener internal or edge, which I don't like.

But a full span truss between main stringers would be almost 4 ft long, meaning the tank height would have to be reduced or many trusses installed to get same stiffness.

To get the 202 gals, they stuffed them in there all space used while still maintaing some clearance for some air movement.

I'm not saying design is perfect, but customers obviously demanded maxed out fuel capacity, so there it is.

AMR may be able to get what he wants, have to us a CAD program or make tank model of cardboard - take a kick down in forward tank top and go further rear, so when it swings up the front end goes get stuck between tank floor an rise to bridge.

Easy design job on autocad to determine, or big cardboard box.
For sure, tank top forward can't be single dimensioned.

jackmartinn55

Reaction score
Gas tank

To replace gas tank is big problem. It is too difficult to replace single tank. So your gas tank is around 200 gallons. For that you can visited nearest work station for it. For it you search on Internet in search engine.