Gas tank replacement

fisheyedfool

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pointers for gas tank replacement on my '87 Offshore 242G. It seems the tank is the same size as the hatch opening(if not a little bigger). I also cant find the neoprene strips 1/8"x1-1/4" that were used under the tank originally. Grady also caulked the holes where the fuel lines go thru the bulkheads. It seems there has to be a better way of doing this( grommets or something).

Thanks

rcgtsport

Reaction score
did my 84 offshore with strips from jamestown distributors shi-11614x2x10. around hoses i used old ones sliced to side over new ones then wire tied. glued strips to tank. to get tanks out had to grind,sand little on each side to clear. good luck not to bad of job.

fisheyedfool

Reaction score
thanks for the tips, I like the idea of using the old hoses for new hose chafe material.

abielecki

Reaction score
Hi - I pulled the tank out of my 268 Islander this winter for the purpose of adding a second one in front of it. I am in the process of having two new ones built by SP tanks in NJ. They have the rubber padding fill hoses, vent hoses, clamps etc. (and a ton of knowledge).
My old tank was also a bit longer than the hatch opening, the width of the tank was smaller. I had to cut (sawzall) 3" off of the old tank to slide it back in order to lift it out, got $80 at a scrap yard for the aluminum. I ended up building full size plywood models of the new tanks to make sure they fit right before having the aluminum ones built. I am adding and changing out the old fill with the new Perko integrated vent + fill units (also using the spacer to elevate them off of the deck.
On top of all that I am also building cockpit coaming bolsters, got the pleated and straight vinyl the mesh, foam and pvc backing board, all set to go with putting it all together.
One final project will be to replace the simulated teak trim. I Iearned from Grady what they are using today for trim (sticky back vinyl, I have info on this if interested) and will be tackling that this winter as well.

Andy.
908.963.1997 call if you want to chat.

fisheyedfool

Reaction score
thanks Andy I appreciate the info.
Another thing I have just noticed is that the new tank from Florida Marine (the same company that built the original) has a 3/8" pick-up hole, when the old tank had a 1/4" hole. Did anyone else have this as well?

fortkingauto

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1985 trophy pro 25 ft and this boat was gone over about two tears ago many new parts I went over it and the only thing I found was a clear jell coating on the top of the tank where the lines and sending unit are no sign of any leaks.
Has anyone ever seen any jell on tank fitting ?
. It looks like maybe the tank was replaced

rcgtsport

Reaction score
i think my old tank had differant size hole. new tank came with a moeller pick up tube 3/8npt x 1/4npt. the old tank i think had a welded in pickup tube.

-Dan

Reaction score
abielecki,

I saw your post regarding your 1995 Islander fuel tank removal. I have a 1995 Islander and have to replace the 134 gal tank. If you don't mind I would like to ask you some questions on how you removed the tank. I cut out the transverse bulkhead located aft of the tank and slid the tanks all the way back into the aux tank compartment. Now I am stuck, there is still 30 inches of tank remaining below the helm deck area and I cannot remove the tank. I do not see any way to remove this tank without significant above deck cutting. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Dan

cgmiller

Reaction score
Dan,
If you are not trying to save the tank. go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a 29 dollar hand held grinder with a few metal cutting blades. Flush the tank with water and leave some water in the tank...cut it apart..take your time and let the wheel cut...I cut the tank out of my dads Mako a few weeks ago..it would not come out whole...it took me 15 minutes to cut the top of the tank off and then cut it in half from the inside..