Gas tank

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Any recommendations on where to get a replacement for my 95 gal tank in my '84 Offshore?

I am in Babylon Long Isand, NY

georgemjr

Reaction score
I bought one from the original manufacturer of the Grady tank. I can dig up the information later today. I didn't install it, but gave it to the new owner when I sold the boat. A year later, I noticed the boat was sold on craigs list. Shortly thereafter, the tank was listed for sale. He must've never replaced it and figured he would get some extra $$ out of it. I can probably find his contact information if you want to check if he still has it. There are also tank builders in Farmingdale who will replicate the exact tank if you bring them the old one. the only negative to that is you have to remove it and then wait for the new one to be built. If you order an original, you can just swap them out, but will have to pay shipping. I will be changing a friend's this fall on his overnighter and will probably stay local. I believe, if I remember correctly, the local one is slightly thicker and slightly cheaper. You should be able to find out the names doing a search on here, that is how I did. I will check my records tonight for you...

georgemjr

Reaction score
My search results:

A few months ago I replaced the main 93-gallon fuel tank last year on my 1991 Seafarer 228G and used Phil from Alloy Metal Works in Farmingdale, NY 631-694-8163. I removed and delivered my old gas tank to Phil, and he properly disposed of the same for free. I had purchased online from WEMA, a great sending unit at 30% off the listed price and had Phil install it on my new tank. As for the tank coating, at Phil's recommendation I applied three coats of Zinc Chromate to protect the tank from corrosion and then glued neoprene strips with 3M 5200 Adhesive to the bottom areas where the boat well's tank supports are located.

Hardways,
If you can get the dimensions from GW, I can get you a tank from RDS Aluminum for a bit of a discount...

.125" wall thickness, baffles, and sender, shipped to your door...

Florida Marine Tank and RDS made aluminum tanks for GW at one time.

I used RDS to replace the tank on a 19 Tournament that I owned. They had the plans and were able to custom build me the exact replacement in less than a week's time, then deliver it to my door via UPS.

Their phone number is: 850-584-6898

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also used Alloy Metal and i will be ordering a tank for my Formula in a couple of weeks. I was very happy with the work he does, not the cheaper guy around though.

gw204

Reaction score
Get in touch with Rob at Raybo Marine. He's in your neck of the woods and can probably turn you on to a local builder.

Raybo Marine
455 W Montauk Hwy
Lindenhurst, NY 11757
631-957-1919

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, just what I was looking for.

George, do you remember how much the tank from Alloy cost you?

Scott W.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am the one who posted the information about Phil from Allow Metal Works earlier this year in another forum post. George just cut and pasted my post into your forum. With a little help from my 10-year old son, I removed the old original tank myself and installed the new one by myself. If you like to tinker with things, you will like this project.

In answer to your question, last December (2009) I paid Phil $710.00 to fabricate an exact replica (less 1/2" shorter on both sides) of my original Grady 93-gallon aluminum gas tank and free disposal of my old tank. The Florida manufacturer of the original tank wanted $1,200 for the new tank plus $350 shipping for the same tank; disposal of the gas tank would be my responsibility. Phil has all of the Grady tank measurments and specs for most tanks. I purchased a great WEMA sender online for $51.00 and paid $46.00 for four spray cans of Zinc Chromate Primer. If you are going to apply the primer yourself, you will need to purchase a decent respirator to protect you from it's harmful/toxic fumes. I'll be happy to answer any of your other questions if you have any.

gw204

Reaction score
Spray-on zinc chromate is not the proper way to protect a new tank. Chemically etch it with something like West System's 860 aluminum etching kit and follow that up with an epoxy paint. I'm going to be using Interprotect on the new tanks for my boats.

Hardways

Reaction score
I also used alloy metal works in farmingdale. I was very happy with the finished tank.Fit perfect. I have a 87 24 offshore.The fill line is the only tricky part.Cost was 725.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Brought my tank down for Phil to look at today........he didn't think it looked too bad but I decided to go with a new one anyway.

I would definitely recommend him even though I don't have my new tank yet. Seems like a honest guy..........wasn't looking to take my money too easily!!

Nice to find people like this still around!!