Gas Tanks

Tlh0009

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Anyone know what easy way to clear the pick ups? They are all gunky from the ethanol

seasick

Reaction score
What exactly are you trying to clear? Are there screens that are gunked up?
If so, the easiest and a bit scary thing to do is remove the anti-siphon valve and/or elbow and using a stiff wire or metal snake, push hard until the screen tears open. Any pieces of screen if loose will just sit on the bottom of the tank.
If the check valve is the problem, you have two options in addition to cleaning it (don't bother). Replace the check (anti-siphon) valve or just use a straight through replacement fitting.
For the record, the ethanol is not the source of the gunk if there is gunk. Old shellacs in the tank get dissolved by the ethanol which in an ironic way, cleans the tank:)

Tlh0009

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks. I have a problem with both tanks. The siphon ball collapses and I have replaced the anti siphon valves. The elbow is just really difficult to get off. I just want to pop the screens and let the filters do it but im having such problems .

Any advise?

PS used an external tank and everything ran great

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Is there a 2-stroke on the boat now? Was wondering if someone was adding 2-smoke oil to the tank. Do you have a slow fill?

seasick

Reaction score
Try running with the gas cap off. If the primer doesn't collapse you have a tank vent issue.
There are other areas that can be the cause, like internally collapse fuel lines. You need to start at one end of the fuel plumbing and check flow. First check/replace the water separator spin on filter if it hasn't been changed.
Also possible is a bad primer bulb . On way to check the fuel line is to run a temporary hose directly from the tank fitting to the place where the primer bulb connects to the engine hose. That will bypass all the fuel hose to the tank, the primer bulb and the filter.