gel-coat restoration and decals done

bfrank

Reaction score
It took about 22 hours of work. I striped the old decals, cleaned with acetone, wet sanded, 3 coats of 3M Rubbing Compound, 2 coats of 3M Marine Wax and then new decals. The finish looks pretty good but which you can't see in the picture.

Before:
6887356944_23cca353a6.jpg

After:
IMG_1204.jpg

Wrestling Coach

Reaction score
Boat looks good. I just did the same with my '83 Tarpon. I used a line of products from Collinite. I used a random orbit polisher with Collinite cleaner and then used the Collinite Boat wax to finish it up. Came out great. Boat is in the water now in the St. Lawrence River near Cape Vincent ready for summer.

http://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/fib ... -boat-wax/

DSC03118.jpg

Dennis

Reaction score
looks good Brian... take some with some reflection in the gel coat. Mine has been holding up fairly well but is now starting to show some stains from the river. I have been using every weekend sense the first weekend in April and washing it every time after... I guess it's an ongoing battle. I used a combo of 3M compound with collinite wax. As you can see from my sig pic I decided not to put on the new stripe i bought... I really liked how it looked without it.

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
bfrank, When you say you wet sanded, can you explain how. I just picked up almost the same boat and the guy I got it from said he had waxed it every year but it looks like it is coated in old wax.

bfrank

Reaction score
CatMar II said:
bfrank, When you say you wet sanded, can you explain how. I just picked up almost the same boat and the guy I got it from said he had waxed it every year but it looks like it is coated in old wax.

I wouldn't wet sand to remove old wax. You can use dawn dish soap then wipe down with some acetone. If you do decide to wet sand use a 3M rubber block and just spray the boat with a hose gently wax and then spray again. Rinse and repeat. I used 400 grit and it was too aggressive. Use something much finer.

192 said:
looks good Brian... take some with some reflection in the gel coat. Mine has been holding up fairly well but is now starting to show some stains from the river. I have been using every weekend sense the first weekend in April and washing it every time after... I guess it's an ongoing battle. I used a combo of 3M compound with collinite wax. As you can see from my sig pic I decided not to put on the new stripe i bought... I really liked how it looked without it.

We were prepping to put the stripe on and started thinking about leaving it off. I decided to put it back on to take your eye away from the light scratches and the fact that the rub rail looks like pOO.

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks, I will try the Dawn. I cleaned and waxed the boat after I picked it up and removed the stripe. The guy I got the boat from put a new stripe on. The stripe was beginning to come off and he put it on in one foot sections. I think we are going to leave it off too.

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
bfrank, Use some auto rubber cleaner/sealer on your rub rail. Something like "Mothers Back to Black", you'll be amazed at the results. Jim

bfrank

Reaction score
Jimontheroad said:
bfrank, Use some auto rubber cleaner/sealer on your rub rail. Something like "Mothers Back to Black", you'll be amazed at the results. Jim

I thought about that but then read about using Acetone to clean it off and then go back with 303 Aerospace Protectant. I ordered the 303 Aerospace Protectant and it's on the way. Hopefully it gets good results.

Reaction score
looking good i see you pulled the stickers off the motor... i also like the wood on the older 190's

bfrank

Reaction score
192 said:
looking good i see you pulled the stickers off the motor... i also like the wood on the older 190's

Yea the stickers on the motor were rough. I got a little too excited with the 3M Striping wheel. I have not been able to locate replacements so for now I just compounded and waxed it same as the boat and it looks pretty good.

bfrank

Reaction score
Yea I looked at similar decal sets and decided that if I couldn't find the exact match I would just leave it blank.