Gel Coat Stain

sluggoe

Reaction score
pulled the shrink off the sailfish and noticed a 14 inch x 1/2 inch horizontal irregular brown stain on the hull about 3 feet up from the waterline;

it is not a groove/gougue mark and is smooth to the touch; the stain was located just under the shrink wrap and is not very visible until you get close to it (approx 3 feet from the boat);

it was not there when i put the boat to bed last fall when i mary kate'd the scum line which was only 2-4 inches or so above the water line;

i tried cleaning it with collinite fiberglass cleaner and did not work;

the only thing i can think of is that the marina somehow made the mark when they washed and waxed the hull after shrink wrap came off;

any ideas about what this stain is and how to clean it? next, i will try mark kate on it;

sluggoe

Reaction score
yeah, that's what i think too....

any way to get this off?

sluggoe

Reaction score
i did....they are looking into it;

hopefully they will fix it -- they had already screwed up the bottom paint (put on hard vs. soft) and said they will fix (sand it off at end of season and haul it mid-season to check for growth);

the burn mark does not seem too bad (it is light brown) but i obviously don't like it as my hull is in pretty good shape;

thanks guys for the advice / comments!

--slugg