Gelcoat cracks in 6 yr old boat

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I seem to be in the never ending battle against gelcoat cracks in my 2006 360 Express, wondering if anyone else with 360's / 330's were having similar issues?

The first few years they were mostly around stress points, helm where the glass and frames were mounted, transom, etc. Fixed them, within a few months there were right back. This last year or two, they seem to be popping up all sorts of places, still in the helm and transom area but now on the interior and exterior surfaces of the hardtop, around fittings, etc.

Two questions for all the Great Grady experts:

1. anyone else see lots of stress cracks popping up in the gel, and if so, how are you fixing them so they don't come right back in a few months?
2. any issue here that I am unaware of from a structural perspective vs cosmetic? I have just started covering them in clear sealer vs paying hundreds per year to repair and have to re-do each year, but to the best of my knowledge these are only cosmetic issues. Is this right or is there something potentially dangerous that I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help and support!

Grady Dave

Reaction score
I agree with first response. I'm on my second Grady. First was a 24' and second a 2008 30' Marlin. I had healiner cracks in the cabin but no stress cracks on deck etc. I also have issues with black pigment in some areas of gelcoat on the deck that won't come out which i
s a factory defect. I would imagine Grady would resolve your issue if you press them hard enough...

georgemjr

Reaction score
Same thing on my '06 330 express. My buddy has them on his '05 Marlin. Grady fixed his around the windshield and transom, but he was told by the repairer that the transom would come back, and they did. Completely non-structural just a lot of flex there and the gel-coat has a tendency to crack. To fix the windshield ones, the windshield has to be removed they have to be ground out, and then filled. They probably won't come back, but it is a big job. They are caused by the mounting screws for the windshield. i haven't bothered with mine. I don't see the need for silicone either unless you are getting water in there that will freeze.

georgemjr

Reaction score
BTW, I have owned multiple Grady's as well as many other boats: Whaler, Hydrasport, Formula etc, been on many others: Albermarle, SeaRay, Contender, regulator, etc. Nevere been on one boat that didn't have some gel coat stress cracks somewhere...

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I can see the cracks by the helm being from screws but cracks on the transom isn't right. Gelcoat can crack from being flexed too much or from being too thick and "normal" flexing. If someone just ground the transom cracks a little and sprayed new gelcoat without looking into the reason the cracks formed in the first place they're just looking for repeat business. Have you spoken to someone at GW?

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was filling my cracks with just gelcoat and nocitced some returned by the end of the season, but then I mixed my gelocat with colloidal silica to thicken it up and the cracks have not returned for 2 seasons now. I thought last season for sure I I really took some beatings. but good to go.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I have been told that the transom cracks were from normal transom flex, but that the thick gel coat does not flex quite as much and cracks. Apparantely, gel coat is not quite as flexible as fiberglass. they are specifically only in two spots and I have seen them on many many vessels. I am anal enough to want to repair them and have sought out doing so, but my friends repair lasted a short period before they returned. Maybe I will try with the thickening agent...

LOBSTERGUTTS

Reaction score
for what it's worth i had an 87, 22 foot seafarer with absolutely no obvious cracks or jellcoat voids, great care in workmanship, glass was rolled and tucked into the mold as it should have been. i then bought the 1994 27 foot sailfish, boy what a difference, in the cabin you could look up and see daylight areas where the gellcoat was thin, when you waxed and buffed the gellcoat in the spring, the outside corners would break,these were air pockets, some placed as big as 3/8x 1/2 inch ( buffed by hand, not machine), one place was 3" long by an 1 1/2 wide on the walk around deck. the pulput broke on both sides where anchor rope was placed in the supplied cleats, and upon swinging on anchor in a variable breeze the 3/16 of poorly laid glass went south, on the replacement as well, so i reglassed it myself. oh well

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, appreciate the input and feedback. I also didn't think they should be as much as I have, will push GW on these to address. Too many IMHO....

At least now I know I am not crazy...