Gelcoat scum at water line

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
What machines and or chemicals are needed to clean the brown scum off of the side of my boat at and above the waterline

seasick

Reaction score
The trick is to scrub the line frequently while in the water using a deck brush and boat soap. That will slow down the buildup. To remove tough stains, you can try a hull cleaner like Starbrite On/Off. On land, you can try the hull cleaner, or for mild stains, a good cleaner wax. For tougher stains, you will need a polishing compound and elbow grease. For really tough stains, you may need a rubbing compound and a buffer.
For extreme stains, wet sanding may be necessary and in some cases, you just can't get the stain out if it penetrates the fiberglass it elf.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
If you're on a trailer, no machines are usually needed. Get any product with oxalic acid, apply liberally using universal precautions for strong chemicals, hose off quickly even more liberally with water. Gel coat pores will be really clean, so be sure to wax or it will happen again even quicker than this time. Metal will be discolored (particularly aluminum) if not hosed quickly. As far as getting the bottom done, I paid a detailer who had a fork lift and requisite safety equipment ... :uhm

Fish Tank

Reaction score
I have heard (and never tried) ketchup will take the scum line out.

What I know works is Muriatic Acid but be sure to READ AND FOLLOW THE LABEL and have plenty of water around to rinse/flush. It is some nasty stuff to inhale or get on yourself and will eat most trailer galvinizer, but works great.

dduflo

Reaction score
Walmart sells The Works in their toilet bowel cleaning section that is cheap and works great. I wear a rubber glove and squirt some on a rag and the brown scum line wipes right off even after my boat sat in the water for 5 months. If your bottom is not painted you can use a sprayer but be careful not to let it drip on your trailer. Sno Bowel works the same way but is harder to find and a little more expensive

HMBJack

Reaction score
I used "On Off" and was amazed at how easy and well it worked to remove stains. However, I observed more stains following the treatment so next time I apply it, I will wax the water line area to hopefully seal the pores in the gel coat like the poster above mentioned. Good luck!

Kai Lover

Reaction score
Bar Keepers Friend sold at Grocery. Apply with sponge. Let set and wash off. ALso removes rust stains.

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
Thanks guys!. I will try some of these tricks and let you Know how I fare. I don't thing I will waste my time with ketchup though :)