Generator advice to power accessories while at sea

docmace

Reaction score
I am buying my first Grady. It's a 272 Sailfish with AC, TV, Microwave, hot water heater and fridge. I am wondering what the best generator set-up is to power all these accessories while offshore. Do I go to a dealer and have one professionally installed or would it be better to go portable? I probably won't be doing many overnight trips but I would like to be able to run the fridge and AC on hot fishing trips down in Gulf Shores AL. Please send me your set-ups and let me know what you think of them Thanks

Bobcat25

Reaction score
Generator

docmace
i have 300 Marlin and my generator went out , 5k for new one.i do a lot of offshore fishing and spend the night a few times. it was nice to have the factory genset but the Honda 2000 is 985.00 dollars and does run every thing i need.i do not run the water heater and A/C at the same time other than that it works great.

Leebert

Reaction score
Hey Bobcat,

I have a Marlin as well and installed an AC this past winter. I was planning to purchase the Honda 2000 portable. My question is how bad does it vibrate? I have a friend that was trying to "hang" his generator to help eliminate the vibration. Not sure what generator he is using though. Is it noticeable or nothing more than the AC when it runs?

Thanks,
LB

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I believe your fridge will run off the batteries.....But in your case I would go portable. installing a new Genset in a 272 will be big$, add weight, and, if you are going that far you ought too go diesel so you'll need a tank for that as well. If you are just day tripping around I'd try to get the smallest portable that will do the job for you when you need it.

Hot water heaters are rarely used and they shouldn't need to be on constantly.

The fridge can run off the batteries most of the time

The microwave is only on for a few minutes

The TV....Unless you're overnighting it won't (Or shouldn't) get used that much

Based on your usage you need minimal power...so save space and get a small,compact generator that can power one or two of your appliances at a time.....

docmace

Reaction score
Can anyone show me pics of how and where they mount their portable generator for use during travel?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just got a Honda generator 2 weeks ago. The vibration is minimal - I have it sitting on the outside of stern with a bungeee strap attached when using it. When traveling I keep it under the forward sleeping area where the table would be set up if in use. Other that that I do not leave it on the boat unless I plan on using it.

ahill

Reaction score
I have a Honda marine cover for mine and stow it in front of the livewell on my 272. Been in use since 5-06.
I put a nonskid pad under it to avoid black marks on the deck.
I too tether mine when it's on the rear platform.
I posted pics a while back under low tech generator cover. Search for that link on this site.
When the Gen starts to run so that the vibration is noticable it's time for a new spark plug ($1.99 at Advanced Auto Parts) & an oil change.