Generator Ffuel Tank Gauge

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have a 2012 305 Express with a Panda generator . The fuel gauge is located next to the electrical panel inside the cabin of the boat. The gauge no longer works and I know it’s bad because it has proper voltage going to it. I have asked the dealer several times and they come up with nothing. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement gauge.
Thank You

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Liquid quantity gauges work by measuring the resistance at the sender installed in the tank. So seeing a voltage at the gauge isn't necessarily indicative of a gauge failure. I my experience, failure at the sender is more likely and a ground wiring problem is probably most common. There are a number of threads on this forum that discuss fuel gauge/sender troubleshooting process. Almost any fuel gauge that fits the hole will work since the senders are pretty standard, but they vary with tank depth. Hope that helps!

seasick

Reaction score
Wspitler is correct but your original post didn't say what connection on the gauge you measured the voltage. In addition it would help to know what the gauge displays (what level).
Depending on the gauge there should be at least three connections, possible four.
One connection is the ground. The second is battery voltage ( 12V). The third is the connection to the sender in the tank. The fourth if present might be a feed for a light in the gauge if it is lighted.
Find the wire that goes to the tank sender. Remove it. connect a piece of wire to that terminal on the gauge and a good ground. The gauge should read something ( probably full). With no wire connected the gauge should read empty.
If that is what happens, the gauge is good.
Now connect the sender wire and find the other end at the tank. ground that wire to a good ground, you can leave it connected to the sender. The gauge should read full. If it does, now connect a wire from a good ground to the ground connection of the sender. If the level displayed changes when you ground the ground terminal, the ground is bad
If nothing changes and the gauge reads empty all the time, the sender is probably bad or stuck

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Wspitler is correct but your original post didn't say what connection on the gauge you measured the voltage. In addition it would help to know what the gauge displays (what level).
Depending on the gauge there should be at least three connections, possible four.
One connection is the ground. The second is battery voltage ( 12V). The third is the connection to the sender in the tank. The fourth if present might be a feed for a light in the gauge if it is lighted.
Find the wire that goes to the tank sender. Remove it. connect a piece of wire to that terminal on the gauge and a good ground. The gauge should read something ( probably full). With no wire connected the gauge should read empty.
If that is what happens, the gauge is good.
Now connect the sender wire and find the other end at the tank. ground that wire to a good ground, you can leave it connected to the sender. The gauge should read full. If it does, now connect a wire from a good ground to the ground connection of the sender. If the level displayed changes when you ground the ground terminal, the ground is badge
If nothing changes and the gauge reads empty all the time, the sender is probably bad or stuck
Thank you VERY much I will do all you suggest again great advise

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Liquid quantity gauges work by measuring the resistance at the sender installed in the tank. So seeing a voltage at the gauge isn't necessarily indicative of a gauge failure. I my experience, failure at the sender is more likely and a ground wiring problem is probably most common. There are a number of threads on this forum that discuss fuel gauge/sender troubleshooting process. Almost any fuel gauge that fits the hole will work since the senders are pretty standard, but they vary with tank depth. Hope that helps!
Thank you Very much it’s all a big help and I will go through things more thoroughly before wasting $$ again thank you

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Check the connections on the tank sender. the tank sits below one of the fresh water wash down hoses. There could be some corrosion if the wash down hose or the cover is leaking.

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Check the connections on the tank sender. the tank sits below one of the fresh water wash down hoses. There could be some corrosion if the wash down hose or the cover is leaking.
I will do that. Thank you for the input