Generator question on marlin

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hello, I just wanted to see the the factory installed 5e Koehler generators require a stand alone battery or if they are wired into the accessory batteries for starting? I have a 2001 marlin I purchased that I am trying to figure out some things on. Thank you!

seasick

Reaction score
It should be fed from a breaker on your DC panel which is fed from one of your regular batteries (House battery usually depending on how may batteries you have and how they are configured)

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
As Seasick said, mine is wired into house battery for starting, not independent.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
One side note... the boat is 21 years old and has who knows how many previous owners. This means that the current setup could be different from the stock setup. Your best course of action is to just go and look at and follow wires - that way you know for sure.

You should also find info on wiring in your manual (can download it on GW's site if you don't have the original) for more info -- whether it's correct for the current setup, of course, remains to be seen.

ttles714

Reaction score
My 2001 Marlin was wired totally different than my 2007 Marlin .... I think the 2001 was a better design ... The '01 had 4 batteries ... one for each motor with 2 cross over switches .... there were 2 house batteries wired in parallel for everything else. Each of the The ox66 Yamahas had an auxiliary charge cable that charged the house batteries while the engines were running .There was a disconnect switch that would turn the house batteries on and off .. So the boat had 3 total perco battery switches. The house batteries were totally isolated from the starting batteries . My '01 did not have a generator so I am not sure about that wiring . I would think the generator starting battery wouldn't make much difference where it was wired . A point could be made for each wiring location ....when the generator is running it should charge all batteries thru the onboard 110vac battery charger ..

Reactions: Jrspawn