Generator Replacement Advice express 330

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It appears I may have to make a decision on a generator. Do I go back with gas or spend probably twice the money (or more) and go with the fischer panda set up? I am leaning towards the FP but would welcome input.

I guess what I need help with is will the FPs really last longer than the kohlers so the extra money will be worth it. Is the 5 years and 1000 plus hours I have on my kohler typical or have I been lucky?

Have any of you guys replaced gensets and if so would you mind sharing cost info and opinions.

Thanks

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My FP is original but I really, really like it. Quiet, safer then gas, efficient, and encapsulated against the elements. Highly recommended.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Megabytes is right...The FP BLOWS AWAY the Kohler...Which they discintinued because it was nothing but trouble........Spend the money...You'll get it back at resale...(Some of it anyway)....

Comfortably Numb

Reaction score
Why are you replacing it? Corrosion issues?

I replaced the generator on my Marlin with another gas generator, and a year and a half later, I'm dealing with corrosion problems again.

The FP diesel sits in a protective shroud, and long-term will be cheaper to own and operate.

I wish I had gone that route when I replaced the generator.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The theory is corrision has taken its toll. I won't know the full deal until they pull it out. The gas one I have made it 5 years I guess I was lucky.

Sounds like the diesel retrofit is the way to go.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with the resale if your are trying to justify the costs. A fellow here who has just purchased a 06 Marlin told me the FP added about 10K to a boat price vs. models with no genset. I do not believe the gas genset adds much since they were known to be trouble.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have been looking at used late model Marlins and 330's closely for the last year or two. Here are some of my oberservations regarding the generator.

A. Most of the models with the gas generator were actually a negative, unless they were only a year or two old. Even the two year old models were showing signs of aging at an alarming rate.

B. From what I've gathered from owners and members of this website and others sites is all generators don't fare well if not used regularly. Some have suggested running the generator every weekend for an hour or so at the dock with a load just to keep it from becoming problematic.

C. Very few of the boats that I looked at had the diesel generators. I can only assume the owners that spent the extra coin for the diesel planned on keeping the boat for a long time and are not selling. Or, perhaps very few people ordered the boat with the generators in the first place?

After gathering all the information I could and looking at many boats I needed to gather what my realistic needs were. I have dreams of heading off to the Canyons (roughly 100 mies from my dock) here in NJ every weekend. But realistically I may do those canyon trips two or three times a year on my boat. At the dock, there is no need for a generator with shore power. For me what made the most sense is to not pay an additional $10,000 or so for a two year old boat with the diesel generator and instead buy a Honda EU2000 for those trips that I want to run the air conditioning while out at sea. For about $1000 I can be comfortable. I can store the generator in my garage, very easy to maintain, easy to get to, lightweight, etc.

Finally, if money is not an issue get the FP diesel generator and make sure you use it.

Hope this helps a little.

ocdansar

Reaction score
I replaced the kohler in my 01 330 express over christmas the old kohler still ran and I never had a problem with it other than corossion issues I was going to install a diesel but after doing some research I ran across another kohler 5e with a sound shield with 20 hours on it for 3800. shipped to me I figure the shield will help with the corission issues and it was a piece of cake to install yeah if your looking for resale the diesel is probably the way to go but I have been perfectly happy with the kohler for over three years now

capeboter

Reaction score
The diesel has been great for me. I did a couple of three day trips last summer and the gen. ran all the time except at the dock. No problems. One trip it ran for about 30 hours on one tank.

capeboter

Reaction score
The diesel has been great for me. I did a couple of three day trips last summer and the gen. ran all the time except at the dock. No problems. One trip it ran for about 30 hours on one tank.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I appreciate all the input. I am going with the diesel and hope to be as pleased as others on this site.

Any of you guys do the services yourself. I know nothing is east to get to under there, but are you able to get to the filters and the impeller without being a contortionist?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It was once very expensive my my dealer has now been trained to do the FP service. I believe my 35 hour service and oil change was around $175 and that included service all to my marina. I had heard it once was over $300.

squidragger

Reaction score
The FP-4200 service is not that difficult. Only 2 filters to change, fuel and air. Check/clean raw water strainer. Change oil as frequently as you can, takes only 10 min. and around 36 ounces of oil. We use 40W rotella but FP now recommends multi weight. Check/adjust valve clearance at the first service. Raw water pump impeller is a little tougher. We changed ours at 400 hrs., keep extra wing nuts on hand. The new version gensets have fresh water cooled back ends. The older versions have raw water cooled back ends, and they have a sacrificial anode thats needs to be serviced. Monitor output voltage and frequency. Keep a spare parts kit onboard. FP customer service is great if you need them.

PM sent

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Old thread i know, but wondering how your decision panned out?

I am contimplating replacing my kohler gas unit in my 2004 330. It's still running but on it's last legs, ( with only 34 hours on it ). I purchaced the boat last year and repowered with 300 yamahas.

Sadly the previous owner did not run it much and also did not keep the deck sealed. The corrosion has taken it's toll, and I don't think I can depend on it.

Temped by the easy install of the replacement gas ( and the $ savings ), but it seems the PF is the way to go since I plan on keeping the boat for quite a while.

How did you hand the fuel tank issue? Any pictures, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
mike

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I have A 2003 Marlin 300. My kohler 5e has needed a new starter 3 times due to corrosion. Changing the starter and impeller required me to be a contortionist. I talked to the Fisher Panda rep at the Miami boat show this year. I wanted a new generator and he told me I was S O L. No model will fit my space. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I don't know if the size of the generator compartment is much smaller on the 330 than the 360 but I have a Northern Lights M673L3.3 in my 360 and love it, It has the sound shield and is very quiet. I run the generator anytime the boat is not hooked to shore power and have not had any issues, The Generator currently has 800 hrs on it and I can run it non stop for three days on 22 gallons of diesel.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Diesel always.

I've had issues with my FP Mini4+ but they are almost all operator error learning curve. Diesel is oil, air, fuel and fuses, so I'm now a pro and the genny putts along great.

R