getting ready

jbukie

Reaction score
hey guys, getting ready to launch my first grady soon. She's used and i'm cleaning her up, waxed up the hull still have to wax the inside.

Just curious, what do you use to clean the non skid? This may sound dumb but does anybody wax the non skid or the deck? doesn't sound like i should but figured i'd ask.

Also any good products to really polish up and protect the aluminum T-top and bow rail?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The beginning of the season is always fun...

Do not wax the non-skid....I wax the inside of the boat, helm area, inside of the gunwales, etc...
My son found a kick-butt non-skid cleaner..StarBrite Deck Cleaner..Wear gloves or be careful..Pretty intense chemical combo, whatever it is, but it works.

Brad1

Reaction score
I clean and wax the boat from the top down. I put a little simple green (maybe enough to fill one or two coffee cups) in a 5 gallon bucket, fill the bucket with water. Spray the area of the boat that I'm going to wash, with clear water. Then use the sudsy simple green solution to clean. On the non-skid, I'll use a soft bristle brush. On the smooth stuff, I use a sponge. Rinse.

When I wax, I use 3m products just about everywhere. But on the non-skid, I use woody's wax.

gerrys

Reaction score
I generally don't promote Woody Wax but on the non-skid I think it does pretty well in protecting the surface without helping you to bust your ars as you move about a wet deck (although it is pretty slick during the application process).

On the high shine areas I'm experimenting with Maguires 3=step (I only used the wax and polish steps because I had no stains or chalking) and Rejex. Both are weathering well, but I think Rejex is going to win out both in longevity and ease of application.

I think this summer I'm going to get a section of an old hull and run a side-by-side test of Rejex, collonite, Maguires and Starbright. I'll compound the surface and apply each according to their instructions. I'll leave it in the sun and take pics of each dry and wet surface each week ubtil we have a winner.