Getting Vinyl Boat Names Off

Fishtales

Reaction score
Decided to change the name on the boat as well as the home port after moving her.
I tried a lot of cleaners to get the 15 year glue residue off. Found that carb cleaner was the most effective. Rubbing alcohol, white vinegar, WD40, nail polish remover, googone all failed. My buddy swears by Easy Off oven cleaner but I didn't try it. Just a tip if you need to do it....

seasick

Reaction score
OY. Did you personally remove the name?
I am a tad superstitious and personally removing the name on your boat can be bad luck:)
You can make the situation better if you follow the renaming ritual. If it's not too late, let us know and I will see if I still have the details.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
did you try the decal remover wheel for a drill?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Decided to change the name on the boat as well as the home port after moving her.
I tried a lot of cleaners to get the 15 year glue residue off. Found that carb cleaner was the most effective. Rubbing alcohol, white vinegar, WD40, nail polish remover, googone all failed. My buddy swears by Easy Off oven cleaner but I didn't try it. Just a tip if you need to do it....
3M adhesive remover and 3M wheel.

There is more to it than getting the vinyl and glue off. The vinyl protects the gel coat underneath from UV. The exposed gel coat is etched away when compounded. When you strip the vinyl it's a high spot you can feel.

Previous owner took the vinyl name off before I bought it. You could see it if you looked carefully in the right light.

Last year before painting the hull was sanded with 330 to prepare for priming. Boat was primed and the primer sanded in prep for finish coats. When inspecting I was surprised to find the old name printed thru!. I had to take it back down to gel coat, sand it out more aggressively and re-prime.

If your not happy with the vinyl removal I would suggest wet sanding starting with 500 grit. I used 3M's Trizact system to bring up my paint finish.

Attachments

• Name Shadow.jpeg
    Name Shadow.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

seasick

Reaction score
Good news about the name having been previously removed! All you need to do going forward is the simple Christening dialog
The louder, the better:)
Christening ceremony

After a boat is denamed, you simply need to rename it using the traditional christening ceremony, preferably with Queen Elizabeth breaking a bottle of champagne on the bow, and saying the words:

"I name this ship ___________, and may she bring fair winds and good fortune to all who sail on her."

This excerpt was taken from Good Old Boat Magazine, Volume 2, Number 4, July/August 1999​

Reactions: Woody1371

Fishtales

Reaction score
OY. Did you personally remove the name?
I am a tad superstitious and personally removing the name on your boat can be bad luck:)
You can make the situation better if you follow the renaming ritual. If it's not too late, let us know and I will see if I still have the details.
Yes I removed it and will install the new one. Not worried about the luck. I'm a believer is making your luck!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I don't care what food people bring. If you want a banana, no issues bringing it on my boat. I do prefer good local craft brew and NO BudLites.....

Fishtales

Reaction score
Installed the new name (same name, just new vinyl) and new port name. I used Boatletter.com. Got them quick - like 3 days. Just one of each. Price was great as well.
Put them on with ease and I'm very happy with the outcome. I recommend the site if you ever need them.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Pic attached.

Attachments

• IMG_7590.JPG
    IMG_7590.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8