Glassing the transom cap

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since I will be repowering and the old engine is off, I'm thinking of having the metal "L" removed the transom cap professionally glassed, faired and gelcoated to match. Has anyone done this?

Any other suggestions for upgrades while having the glasswork done?

Thanks
Greg

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
101_5349.jpg

ONEMORE

Reaction score
hate to break the bad news, but you might be in for heart breaking suprise if you remove the cap. What year is your Grady?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Do it! If something needs repair, it will need repair regardless ... :wink:

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Curmudgeon said:
Do it! If something needs repair, it will need repair regardless ... :wink:

My thoughts as well, I'm not going to stick my head in the sand when mounting a brand new 4-stroke.

Brad1

Reaction score
Hope you find everything is ok when you remove the trim strip. I definately think that would be a good idea to glass it over. In the event that water did get into your transom, the wood should still be intact provided the Greenwood product does what it's supposed to do. And in the event there is a rot issue, the Greenwood warranty should kick in. If there isn't any rot, but water found it's way in, obviously it's going to need to be dried out before it's glassed.

gw204

Reaction score
Sleeve the motor bolt, scupper and aux. bracket holes, drill oversize and refill w/ epoxy all screw holes before redrilling pilot holes and replace that cheesy deckplate w/ an Armstrong.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll start with the motor holes since that is what needs to be done while the engine if off. What kind of Armstrong plates are you referring to?

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just spoke to the factory and they thought it was a good idea since its supposed to be resealed every few years. I didn't know that...

tibeachguy

Reaction score
Just Wondering:

After reading several threads about rotting transoms and the problems people have with theirs, why does the factory use that metal trim instead of glassing it themselves? :?

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
tibeachguy said:
Just Wondering:

After reading several threads about rotting transoms and the problems people have with theirs, why does the factory use that metal trim instead of glassing it themselves? :?

Don't know but those threads are what prompted this preventative upgrade

capecodder86

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I am going to go look at a 1994 209 Escape with a 200 evinrude on it. What kind of field tests can i perform righ there on the spot to see if its has problems or not? How to I check for transom rot?