Gluing Grady Helm seat

IanC

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Grady Gulfstream. The front and back piece of the helm seat back support screw together. There are posts on the seat back that the screws go into. 2 of the posts have broken off and some of the post has eroded. I plan to glue the post back as best as I can but also was going to glue the contacting rim around the broken post. Any suggestions on a type of adhesive to use? Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the JB Weld line of products if appropriate for your material.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My theory is.....if the original metal broke under the stress of normal use then glue will not be a suitable solution since the best glues are far, far from being as strong as uncompromised metal from which the original part was formed. I would remove all the soft items and take the parts to a good welder and have him work his magic.

Pictures would give us an idea of what the problem is.

seasick

Reaction score
Halfhitch said:
My theory is.....if the original metal broke under the stress of normal use then glue will not be a suitable solution since the best glues are far, far from being as strong as uncompromised metal from which the original part was formed. I would remove all the soft items and take the parts to a good welder and have him work his magic.

Pictures would give us an idea of what the problem is.
I agree. In addition if the seat is HDPE/PPE or similar plastics, it will be difficult to glue in general. Most glues won't adhere to those plastics

IanC

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses. It was the front and back of the plastic seat that had separated where one screw post had fractured. I glued it together with Minipoxy epoxy adhesive and applied a vice grip for an hour and it made a great bond.

seasick

Reaction score
IanC said:
Thanks everyone for your responses. It was the front and back of the plastic seat that had separated where one screw post had fractured. I glued it together with Minipoxy epoxy adhesive and applied a vice grip for an hour and it made a great bond.
Nice work. Hope it holds up.