Going off shore or near shore

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I recently got involved in a thread on a North Carolina Fishing site regarding goin off shore in a small boat. It was great to see all of the input.

I took my 2 boys and 2 of thier friends out on a charter last year. The captain had a 20 ft Mako. I thought we would stay in the intra coastal but he went 5 miles out. We had a great trip and that is what prompted me to but my boat.

I opted for the 19 ft tournament. I bought it used with a 140 Suzuki and it does have a kicker moter plate which I would add the extra motor for safety off shore as well as trolling.

All that being said, Can anyone share experiences taking a smaller boat like this off shore? I believe the 19 ft Tournament is a better model for in-shore / off shore than the 20 ft Mako we went out on. Also, I think the captain probably picks his days carefully when taking it out. Based on that trip and comparing the boats, and the same weather conditions, I would take mine out that far and with more experience probably a little farther.

Fell free to share some of your smaller Grady Off shore trips and add some insight.

Thanks

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
near-shore is generally 0-20 or so miles with off-shore after that. i think you have a lot of freeboard in the 19 so near-shore should not be an issue.

i fished and boated in the ocean with 18 footers almost my whole life. not a problem unless you go out on rough days. have fun, ron

Frank

Reaction score
It boils down to the experience, skill, etc. of the captain AND YOUR SAFETY EQUIPMENT. I routinely take my 2002 Tournament 192 10-20 miles out (up to 25 miles). With the freeboard and motorwell setup, it is a reasonably safe boat out there. Larger is better, of course, but that isn't your question. A small boat can go offshore if the captain understands its limitations, keeps it in top shape, and acts carefully.

You need to pick your days because if/when the seas and wind kick up, you will get wet and have to run slower than a heavier, longer boat. Thus, you don't want to be far off if a thunderstorm is possible. You can help in this regard by going early and returning by early afternoon before storms form and winds increase. Needless to say, listen to your weather reports before you go and monitor them while you are out there.

Carry an EPIRB, ditch bag fully stocked, backup radio and GPS (both handheld), compass, good offshore life preservers (readily available), rope, a drift sock/sea anchor, and plenty of signaling devices (flares, smoke, mirrors, flashlights, etc.). Also, have a Boat US or Seatow (or both) membership. Make sure your boat, motor and equipment are all in good condition.

Most of all, be careful and think about the consequences of your actions.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
6 people on a 20'er is pushing it if things turn nasty. 5 miles isn't bad and you can get back relatively quickly but I wouldn't do 6 people 20 miles out.

Z4J

Reaction score
Grog said:
6 people on a 20'er is pushing it if things turn nasty. 5 miles isn't bad and you can get back relatively quickly but I wouldn't do 6 people 20 miles out.

1- ALWAYS file a trip plan with someone, the marina, relatives or other boaters that you trust. It can be simple low tech but do it every time.
2- Pick your weather window carefully and watch the window. When the weather turns, things can go from good to bad very quickly. It doesn't take long to run 5 miles in flat water but once it starts to get up you have to slow down and the problems increase.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How can 6 people fish on a 20 foot boat? This sounds harder than fishing on a headboat. :shock:

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, we had 6 people, one was the Captain and I did not fish as much since I wanted the boys to do the catching. But at any given time 2-3 people were not fishing so it was not as crowded.

I agree, if I went out I would limit the number of people.

We were trolling with 4 rods with planers so no tangles to speak of.

It was also a calm day which made it look easy, I`m sure if things changed we would have headed in.

I plan to work my confidence up to go out fsrther. I need to get some electronics, learn some things and research the ins and outs of problems that can happen. And yes, sea tow as well.

It`s good to see so many people that do this with a smaller boat and it`s good to get all of the input, great experience and advice.

Thanks

capeguy

Reaction score
I run 20 miles out on my 18' Sportsman, but conditions are crucial significantly limiting those days. It helps that I am travelling through waters with lots of other boats both at the destination and en route. Always many boats within radio contact.

The key is to be prepared with safety and be very careful with the weather....

The boat can handle it, make sure you and the crew can.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Our ocean boating out here is pretty much all in open water. Weather reports are reliable, and critical as mentioned. Especially wind and wave reports. We have good reporting and monitoring sites on the net for wave height and direction over a period preceding a trip.

About 20 miles is all I want to do on 20' boat. Beyond that I think you should have some way to duck out of it if it gets nasty. We do a lot of boating between LA/Long Beach and Catalina Island, it's 25-30 miles from the mainland depending from where you depart. So if push came to shove, you could duck in for cover on the lee side of the island. Good ground tackle is suggested just for this reason, or for if you have a failure nearshore and need to heave-to to wait for a rescue/tow.

Last year we made several fishing trips for palegics out of Oceanside for the sole purpose of being able to run staight west to the best grounds. Every afternoon we get a pretty good westerly that can really kick up a chop. When/if it started to blow we could just run with it back to port.

On one trip the prevailing switched up more northwesterly and boy did we get wet. It was one of the roughest days I've been out in the boat. The chop was a good 5' average with some in the 7-8' range. We'd dive into a trough and get spray all the way over the top. We just slowed down to 15-18kts and slogged it out, no problems really, just a bit wet.

The boats can handle more than the passengers. Wifey gets sick on a calm day on a drift. It can get really rough for a small boat in the ocean. You got good advice on trip planning and prep, follow it closely. If you're new/green go with some experienced skippers first and learn what to do and what not to do.

Many years of sailing teaches one how wind and wave action changes as you approach shore. Knowing that helps you plot a course for best way-making. And don't hesitate to slow down. It may take a bit longer but better than getting pounded or swamped. Leave plenty of daylight for a return, don't get caught out in weather after dark - that's when it gets really dicey.

If you travel before or after daylight, or get a lot of fog, radar becomes a necessity. Otherwise a GPS is sufficient but indepensible. I run a built in Lowrance plotter/finder and a Garmin handheld. I'll pick a waypoint and nav-to on the handheld, it has a velcro mount on the dash as well, then put the chart up on the Lowrance. I carry a backup handheld VHF too.