good bottom paint

against the wind

Reaction score
hi everyone... could u please tell me a good bottom paint for my 208 without breaking the bank... also a good aluminun and chrome cleaner for my hardtop and bow rails thanks

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have been using Pettit Hydro Coat the last 5 years and have been very happy with. It is a water based paint, has less fumes and is easy to apply. Clean up is fast and easy. Unfortunately the price is in-line with most other bottom paint. Some say they do a full coat every year and just touch up the second year. I have seen less of a buildup of paint on the hull sine I started using Hydrocoat. The paint is a lot thinner than some of the others thicker paints that I have applied . The functionality of the Hydrocoat is as good or better than anything I have used.
I use Flitz om the railings and Collinite wax.

Fishtales

Reaction score
same here with the hydrocoat. each area is a bit different. probably good to ask other boaters what they are using.

eppem

Reaction score
Two thumbs up for the Hydracoat. Boughtt our GW used in 2006 and have only used the HC. We boat in the northeast and slim can be an issue when it warms up. We are on the boat a ton and do lots of beach / swim days so we can keep the waterline pretty clean. With that said, this is a tad $$ but its multi-season paint. I do a complete paint job every 2-3 seasons otherwise its a touch up here and there. Keep your eyes open for a sale and you can pick up a gallon for 169 or less. You can also thin it out a little with some water. Bonus is the clean up etc.

against the wind

Reaction score
thank u i think i have oil paint on the bottom now .. can you paint waterbase over oil or vice verser

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not sure what the manufacturer instructions say but mine had oil based on it and I just applied over after just the normal prep of power wash, and light scraping where needed. Have not had an issue in over 5 years.

eppem

Reaction score
Yes, you can apply a water based paint over a hard oil based paint. You can't do it the other way around. Check the instructions on the back to confirm.