Good bumpers?

Gabonkamu

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Plastic is the preferred material for modern boat bumpers for several reasons. First and foremost, plastic is much lighter and more aerodynamic than metal, which improves the car's fuel efficiency. Plastic is also easier to shape, which is useful during both the manufacturing and bumper repair process.

Last edited:

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I'll put in a negative comment here for the Cabellas/Basspro brand fenders that I had to replace last year because they "broke down" for lack of a better term. The plastic started getting sticky and was leaving residue on whatever it touched. I replaced them with some Taylor fenders from West Marine and they seem solid.

seasick

Reaction score
The fenders at Walmart work fine for me but only the white ones. The dark ones sometimes leave marks.
To be a scootch. I must note that a funder that is attached to a pier or dock is called a bumper. If that bumper were hung over the gunnel of a boat, it is called a fender:)

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Plastic is the preferred material for modern boat bumpers for several reasons. First and foremost, plastic is much lighter and more aerodynamic than metal, which improves the car's fuel efficiency. Plastic is also easier to shape, which is useful during both the manufacturing and bumper repair process.
2 year old thread, but I'll play. Dont think we need to worry about being more light weight, aerodynamic, and fuel efficient for a boat bumper, unless maybe they are dangling off the side while running.

+2 on being called a "fender"

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
2 year old thread, but I'll play. Dont think we need to worry about being more light weight, aerodynamic, and fuel efficient for a boat bumper, unless maybe they are dangling off the side while running.

+2 on being called a "fender"
4 years old, actually!

But I think that Gabo guy is probably a spammer. He's talking about using plastic instead of metal!

Reactions: Saltyone