Good gas filler neck and cap?

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Looking for a good quality stainless gas filler cap or cap and neck assembly. I'm suspecting the one on my boat pictured is leaking water into the tank. Also is it possible to just change the cap or I can find the same one or best to change it out an an assembly? Thanks guys

Attachments

• 20190511_082131.jpg
    20190511_082131.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's a Perko cap. You can get a new o-ring for it... on that note, did you check to see if the o-ring is even there?

Do you 'know' that water is getting into the cap, or just guessing? Take a gas sample from your boat-mounted filter or siphon some gas from the bottom of the tank.

Is that cap original? From the gunky caulk job, I would think this has been replaced at least once. Unless there is damage to the cap/fill, there's no reason to replace a perfectly good unit. If the original hole is slightly too big for this fill, then use a piece of 1/4" starboard to cover the hole.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
That's a Perko cap. You can get a new o-ring for it... on that note, did you check to see if the o-ring is even there?

Do you 'know' that water is getting into the cap, or just guessing? Take a gas sample from your boat-mounted filter or siphon some gas from the bottom of the tank.

Is that cap original? From the gunky caulk job, I would think this has been replaced at least once. Unless there is damage to the cap/fill, there's no reason to replace a perfectly good unit. If the original hole is slightly too big for this fill, then use a piece of 1/4" starboard to cover the hole.
Thanks Dennis for the info. I will need to check it to see if it still has the O-ring or needs one. I did have some water in my tank. I'm pumping the gas out and replacing with new. I'm guessing it is the cause, since tank was nearly full and used stabilizer before I winterized last season.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
On that note, anyone have a good link to things like o-rings and seals for live wells etc? (as well as the gas cap)

I have a few that are either falling out or just dry-rotted as well. Would like to replace them. Curious how you all did it, or if you have a link to the best place to find them.

Did not mean to hijack the thread, but figured the OP might be wondering the same thing heh.

Russ

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks Dennis for the info. I will need to check it to see if it still has the O-ring or needs one. I did have some water in my tank. I'm pumping the gas out and replacing with new. I'm guessing it is the cause, since tank was nearly full and used stabilizer before I winterized last season.
The stabilizer doesn't have a lot to with whether or not water accumulates in your tank. If it is getting in through the filler, as mentioned, the o-ring is usually bad not even there. You will need the Perko model number to get the right size o-ring if there is none. If there is and it's just worn out, you can bring it to a marine supply store and match it up.
The last time I needed the ring and didn't know the size, I contacted Perko support and they mailed me two rings at no charge. Now that is customer service.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
The stabilizer doesn't have a lot to with whether or not water accumulates in your tank. If it is getting in through the filler, as mentioned, the o-ring is usually bad not even there. You will need the Perko model number to get the right size o-ring if there is none. If there is and it's just worn out, you can bring it to a marine supply store and match it up.
The last time I needed the ring and didn't know the size, I contacted Perko support and they mailed me two rings at no charge. Now that is customer service.
Good to know, Thanks Seasick