Good Marine Speakers

kendcc

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I'm totally digging my 2005 226, but I do have one serious problem...NO TUNES!!!

I've seen some posts here, so I have a sense on where to mount speakers....likely hang them from the hard top next to the spreader lights.

Now, I'm certainly no audiophile, but I do want something that sounds pretty good and am willing to pay a few $$ (not limitless, but don't mind a bit more for good sound).

Can anyone recommend a good speaker that's enclosed, can handle some spray while underway as well as when washing? Any other advice from head unit, amp, IPOD interface etc is also welcomed.

catch22

Reaction score
I had a pair of Bose 151's on my Gulfstream. Imo, they were the absoloutely awesome. They're not the new Environmental series speakers, but the older 6 x 9 box type.

Here's a set at Amazon;
http://www.amazon.com/Bose-151-Speaker- ... pd_sbs_e_1

I mounted them under the walk-around, on each side of the helm and passanger area.

Gulfstream_10-04-2005_024.jpg

I also installed a pair of Poly Planor, MA 9060's on a friends 228 Seafarer. Same location, under the walk-around.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... assNum=435

I don't think their quite on par with the Bose, but they do sound very good.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check out Boston Acoustic Voyagers. I have 4 on present boat, 2 on last boat, 2 on deck, 2 in kitchen, 2 on beach house patio.

Hmm....sounds like time for BA to give frequent speaker discount! :D

gerrys

Reaction score
I have some new, in the box PolyPlaners 3 1/2 inches, waterproof of you are interested.

jehines3

Reaction score
HD radio has a Mail in rebate for $50 on select head units (there is a long list on their site).

I'm installing my headunit tonight, JVC KD-HDW10. I'll post back on sound.

I went with fairly inexpensive Dual box speakers from Boatersworld $29 per pair to replace my worn out little 4" GW box factory jobs and they fit in the factory locations (no wiring). They sound great on the old head unit so they will probably sound even better with a real tuner/CD player. I did not want to drill big 6" holes in the boat as I've done in the past.

I had great luck on a Sony package on the last boat. Look for brand name and 50Wx4 MOSFET minimum.

I may add an amp and two 8" subs later, but I'll see how this sounds first. jh

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
All good advice.

However none of them will sound that great without an amp. 50w/channel is just not going to drive much of a speaker, so if you buy really nice speakers your unit won't have enough power. You need at least a 3-400 watt amp for the better speakers as they're all rated for more power. Otherwise, the cheapies are going to be just about the same with stock power.

A sub-woofer, even a small one, really rounds out the sound. I don't boost my speakers on a Sony unit (50wX4), but a 600w amp drives a 10" Boss sub. Makes a HUGE difference. Led Zepplin at 35mph is awesome! Haven't had a passenger yet that didn't get a big smile on their face.

jehines3

Reaction score
Installed the HD radio and my last two deck speakers last night. Sounds awesome. Probably 30-35 stations (15 or so digital) at the dock using my new Shakespeare 8' FG AM/FM antenna mounted on the hardtop.

I know what CJ is saying about the woofers and amps if you buy top shelf speakers. On a boat if you install almost any brand name speaker in the hull it will create nice sound as the hull acts like a large box enclosure in most cases. I'm so over improved over what I had that I'm definitly going to skip the amp and woofers for now.

Just remeber that 400W amp is going to burn ALLOT of juice. If you do install an amp make sure you put a switch on the remote output (almost always blue) line from the stereo so you can shut off only the amp for power scavaging overnight/offshore trips.

My boat already had a stereo so all the wiring was in place. I replaced the power leads as they ran to the panel right next to the radio, but reused all the speaker wire for obvious reason. I would not bother to indulge in great speakers and amps since I don't want to pull in all new speaker wire. Crappy (factory) speaker wire would just be a weak link in the sound quality to good head unit, amp, and speaker set-up so go all, or nothing. jh

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The best bazooka style speakers i had made a few years back was a pair of 6 1/2" pioneer 3-way marine speakers and two igloo round water coolers. Cut the lid to the speaker opening and screw on the lid.If you want to remove just unscrew the lid.One hole for wires then seal with silicone and a home made aluminum bracket and you are in business.Good luck.