good polishing wax

cool change

Reaction score
hi all... could anyone recommend a good polish and wax for my grady. I bought her last year and the boat has a light white powder residue when i rub my hand over it.. I plan to polish it myself either by hand or polishing wheel... also i need a good bottom paint too thanks to all..

HMBJack

Reaction score
For your application, I recommend "3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound" followed by a nice top coat (or two) of Collinte Fleet Wax #885. Read and follow the instructions on the 3M Super Duty. And, when you apply the Collinite - do NOT let it dry to a haze. You want to apply it and remove it within 5 minutes. If you let it dry to a haze, you will have a very hard time getting it off (and completely not necessary). Good luck!

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
depending on the level of oxidation:

step 1: Using a good rotary and oscillating wheel apply rubbing compound (medium or heavy - I would try medium first).

step 2: After removing the rubbing compound, wash the entire hull with Dawn dishwashing detergent.

step 3: Apply Collinites 920 cleaner. apply with the buffer, remove by hand and then polish with with the buffer using a microfiber pad.

STep 4: Apply Collinites 885 paste wax. apply by hand, heat up with the buffer, remove by hand and do a final polish with the buffer using a microfiber pad. if you really want a long lasting application perform this step twice - allow 12 hours between applications.

My 360 is 11 years old. It looks like brand new. People at the marina cannot believe the shine - even compared to new boats. I have used this process forever and it works. if you don't have a buffer - you need one. I suggest the Porter Cable. good luck.

eppem

Reaction score
Dunno,

Like anything boating or fishing related what is the right thing, best or easiest can be debated and is a matter of preference. I used to do the two / three step of compound, clean and wax/polish and one year my boat was at a public yard when I saw the service staff using the 3M two in one wax for lightly oxidized fiberglass. I tried it and never looked back. I like to apply by hand and buff it off. We still get comments about how our 03 looks brand new. We do a full wash n wax in the spring and again in mid season when we haul for 100 outboard service. Any stubborn stains we can lift off with compound or acetone. Just my two cents. I will try to add a photo of the hull from last spring is I can figure out how to.

eppem

Reaction score
This is all I could find at work, two or three years ago but still looks the same.

Attachments

• IMG00360-20120308-1723.jpg
    IMG00360-20120308-1723.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 2,991

freddy063

Reaction score
acid wash then Collinites 885 paste wax, by hand. the acid i get is from the hardware store muriatic it's the same as on off but 100% could water it down,bottom same but paint over no wax.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
If your gelcoat is oxidized and chalky you will need to do some work to get it back to being shiny again. There are several products that can do this, many products are just personal preference. You will probably need to start with compounding and then work up from there. I have used the 3m products for this in the past, starting with rubbing compound followed by finesse it then wax or a polish. I have been using starbrite cleaner and polish for the hull and top sides. I have tried a number of products with similar results. The starbright stuff goes on and comes off easy. Plus it has held up well. I typically use a machine when applying products, I have found it to be easier, and more efficient.

cool change

Reaction score
thank u all or feedback........... eppem what is the name of the 2 in 1 compound/wax.. so it is just one step ?

cool change

Reaction score
also.. do i have to tape over the grady white decals and striping, or can i compound and wax over them.. thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
I use the Collinite 920 cleaner followed by Meguairs Marine wax. You may want to compound first if real chalky, I've used Dupon #7 cut 50/50 with water in the past. Ok to go over the stripe, just don't stay on it too long. I second the polisher. Here is a decent one that won't break the bank. https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-742 ... B002654I46

I use the wheel and polishers from the Chemical guys on the web.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009902XR0/re ... 38462&sr=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009902YHO/re ... 38462&sr=2

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I stopped using any of the wax products for 4 years now, Use the Magic buff and pro polish now. I get compliments all the time on how my mid 80's grady shines. It lasts from spring to late fall. Not to say the wax did not shine better, because it did. But the pro polish lasts longer...on the topside anyway
1st year I did it I did one side with wax and the other with the pro polish. By July I had to clean and polish the waxed side.