Good SS Thru Hull

TBone

Reaction score
Im getting ready to order all my replacement SS thru hulls.

Looking for opinions on brands, are they all pretty much the same?

Attwood, Gemlux, Grady dealer(which i beleive are Precise?)?

Is there a difference if they are all 316 grade SS?

Thanks,

Tony L.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I went with the Grady scuppers, they aren't cheap but still look new. The Gemlux's are OK, and it's too soon to tell with the Perko's. I went Bronze for any fitting that's by the water line. It's not a big deal on a boat with bottom paint but on a clean hull they'll be ugly. They will not show rust stain or erode, but they're ugly.

The 316 SS can be a lengthy disuccion, but Stainless is not stainfree.

TBone

Reaction score
Thanks guys, Im leaning towards the Attwood SS fro the scuppers and all the through hulls.

Grog, Good idea with the bronze, I will use that for the two that go thru the bottom in the recessed trim tab area.

I read a thread where somone used SouthCo for the deck drains, im gona research those too.

TBone

Reaction score
Grady175, how was the pricing on those?

Did you buy them direct, and if so, was it cheaper than thru a GWdealer?

Grady175

Reaction score
I did buy them direct but they told me right off the bat that Grady does not want them selling direct. I "talked them in to it" since my local dealer did not want to get involved. I live about 60 miles from the dealer and he said it was just "too much hassle".

I had to pay a fee for them breaking open bulk packages but the price was much cheaper than anything else I had found shopping the Internet.

All in all it was a bunch of email traffic and a couple of phone calls because I had to deal with Grady to get the model number (they gave me the Grady part number which is different than the Premier part number). Premier was able to convert the Grady number to their stock number. If I were to do it again, I would remove them from the boat first and do the measurements. They have a very good chart that tells the sizes. I would then call them and never even mention that I have a Grady but only that I'm looking for thru hulls.

One more point (that was a pain). They will only do COD on Fedex or send them a certified check in advance. No credit cards.

Hope this helps.

Jas

Reaction score
I just had all my through hulls replaced, and contracted out for it. My contractor used Attwood SS and they look great! I’ll try and post some pics and give you some more details when I can.

Regards,
Ted

Seahunter

Reaction score
All of the above mentioned suppliers are nothing more than distributors. I can guarantee you that not one of them has a foundry out back making SS thru hulls.

Odds are all 3 of them are buying them from the same manufacturer. Ask for a drawing of the parts. I’ll bet good money that you get the same exact drawing with different names in the title block

Fishon02

Reaction score
Use the Perko chrome over bronze above the waterline and bronze below. I have had good luck with them on several upgrades/updates. The stainless will get surface rust on them in the salt regardless of the grade. Have fun it can be a knuckle buster of a job. 8)