GOT BIG PROBLEMO. PLEASE HELP

johnnyboy

Reaction score
Hey guys its been a while since I posted :

First off its been so crazy with the hurricane, didnt get a chance to do any winter maintaince.

Juts my luck, the stinking macerator wont work. Evertyime i put a new fuse in and press it to clear out, the fuse blows. It reads full and I got no idea what to do. Need to know all possible ways out of this. Does it sound like a short or seized? Anyone ever have to take the crap out with a vacuum? If so howd you do it?

Problemo number two none the less. My fresh water system is full and yes of course, no water comes out either. Any ideas?

Apppreciate all help anyone can give. Oh and also when I purchased my boat, it stayed in the water shrink wrapped through the winter, anyone see any danger leaving it in the water shrink wrapped? I don't.. Please offer opinions.

Thanks

:bang

Enough Already

Reaction score
Your fuse is blowing because the pump shaft is jammed. Only way to check it is to pull the stinking thing out. Sometimes, you can work the thing loose by putting a wrench on the shaft nut and working it back and forth. That approach will only work for a while if there is any type of corrosion building up. What boat do you have? My 265 has a pump out that you can use at the marina. When I fixed my pump, I filled up the tank with water and pumped out several times before pulling the pump.

frfly172

Reaction score
Breaker usually pops if pump overheats because the pump is bound up.i would use dockside pump out then you have to remove the macerator and clear the blockage.not a pleasant job.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Take the boat to the pump-out station, and use that facility to empty the tank. Then you can pull the macerator for maintenance, repair, or replacement.

You need to be offshore to pump out anyway.... :huh

Brian

johnnyboy

Reaction score
Of course I'm not pumping inshore. I just want the macerator repaired.

It's a 1999 27 foot sailfish.

Thanks to all those whom helped thus far :goodjob

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Also, to get the water out of the tank you can use one of these...........

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Shurflo+ ... 4Aod9h4AxQ

Stick the suction (in) side of the hose in the water fill and push all the way in. Regula garden hose will give you problems going in but you can use a 1/2" clear hose with an adapter with much better results.

EDIT: Just checked the link i posted and this pump comes with 1/4" on one end which is great for your application.

Winged Pig

Reaction score
I have the same issue ('98 272) and plan on replacing the macerator, but since my marina pumps for free it's not a pressing issue right now. I believe that the pump assembly can be had from Graco and West Marine and Defender carry them. Only problem is I think it costs between 5 and 6 hundred dollars, so for that price I am not going to worry about it anytime soon.

As for the water, my boat has a drain hose for the water tank located in the aft bilge compartment under the battery shelf. Not sure if it was factory installed or put in later, but it works. It is right off the feed at the lower front of the water tank.

Hope that helps.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Winged Pig said:
I believe that the pump assembly can be had from Graco and West Marine and Defender carry them. Only problem is I think it costs between 5 and 6 hundred dollars, so for that price I am not going to worry about it anytime soon.

Yes, that's how much a replacement macerator costs. Many folks switch over to an external macerator, as it is less costly and certainly easier to service or replace in the future.

I took a different course when the macerator in our tank froze like that. I replaced the entire tank assembly with a Groco SweetTank, and went from 10-gal to 15-gal capacity. You can find my old posts on here concerning the work. The biggest difference is that air is pumped 24/7 (small aquarium type pump) into a manifold at the bottom of the tank and NO CHEMICALS are ever needed - and no odor.

Brian

Enough Already

Reaction score
Its a Groco 155 series pump (note spelling) and you can get them for about $400 from Depco Pump Company in Clearwater, FL 727-446-1656. The part number for my 265 was GC 155-6110-12, where the 12 is the pump height. Some of the guys re-rig their systems but I prefer to stay as stock as possible. If you want to talk to somebody at Groco, try John Butler in Technical Service - 410-712-4242 - they are in Hanover, MD.

freddy063

Reaction score
there are more that just the pump to replace, you should replace the boot, the cutting blade and motor, it's not as bad as people are saying , wear some latex gloves and wash the thing off in a bleach mix before you start, I got my parts from Kerry at http://www.portlandyacht.com/parts.html tell him you have a Grady and he will get what you need.