Got the call Yamaha F225 owners dread

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Dealer called today and told me my 04 225's have exhaust corrosion. 3K per engine for the repair assuming their is no corrosion on the head. I had not heard of corrosion to the head before. Anyone have experience with that added issue and any idea on added repair cost?
My engines have been running great for 12 years and have just reached the 1,000 hour mark. I am questioning 6k repair or bite the bullet and repowere.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
We had our pair done at $5500 at a dealer facilitating a boat sale, February 2015, south New Jersey. I'd suggest you shop prices a bit, I think people have seen this service for around $5k. Ultimately the kit of parts (including oil pump, which you should definitely replace at the same time) is $2k per motor from SIM Yamaha, so $5k would assume a fast, efficient and experienced tech with the right tools.

Corrosion in the power head is when the scaling/pitting from the exhaust mid-sections climbs up into the exhaust passage of the head unit and eats away the material near the mating surfaces. Once these mating surfaces on the bottom end of the powerhead are compromised, then you're talking spot-weld, building up material, and re-honing/flattening the bottom of the power head (not typical shop-work, way +$$$). Because of the potential for this issue we had the heads pulled and photographed before we bought the boat.

$6k you could shop, but better than $5500 might be hard to find depending on your location. Good luck!

Bob.

Fishtales

Reaction score
gotta be scoping those puppies every year. I'd also be doing it on the F250s at least 2006 and under.
did mine last year as well. there is a list of suggested items, speedy cranks, internal anodes, oil pump etc that if decide to do it - do it all.
repower always an option. going to cost 4x minimum though.

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I got that same call in 2014 for my 2003 Yamaha twin F225 motors with 600 hours. Always flushed and dry stored, made no difference. One motor required welding on the power head to correct some corrosion. I paid around 8K. Two years later and all is well. I want to get as many hours as possible before I repower with Yamaha F250s on my 2003 Marlin. I had this done at my marina in Panama City Beach, FL.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
wbdenamur - Did you find your corrosion on a routine inspection or did you have a mechanical issue that surfaced the issue. I am wondering if the corrosion on the powerhead had any noticeable symptoms or it was just discovered as they took the engine apart?

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I found the corrosion when I had both feet off changing out the water pumps. I was aware of the potential because of the many posts and purchased an inspection camera ($89) from Harbor Freight and looked up the exhaust port myself and saw the issue. It wasn't until I committed and the engines were apart that the block corrosion was found. Nothing alerted me to it. I'm glad it was found before it caused a catastrophic problem and forced me to repower.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Last year a saw a price in New Bedford of 1500.00 for the corrosion kit+labor. Most shops knock these out pretty quickly now. I would shop around. You have all winter and mechanics will be looking for work.

Gary S

Reaction score
What years and HP is this a problem in? I'm thinking of getting a used 232 Gulfstream and wonder what I should be wary of.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Gary S said:
What years and HP is this a problem in? I'm thinking of getting a used 232 Gulfstream and wonder what I should be wary of.
\

I believe it was 2003-2004 F225 and F250. If the Gufstream you are looking at is in those years I would ask if the exhaust corrosion has been taken care. if anything it is a good negotiating point. Good luck

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
These repairs should just be considered routine maintenance for these yamaha engines at this point. Most local shops will stock the kits, and prices have seemed to come down a bit. In talking with my mechanic recently, he said they are now seeing problems in the F250s up to 2007. So I guess time will tell with the newer engines. If you are looking at any boat with these older yamahas the corrosion issue/repairs should either be done or be reflected in the sale price of the boat.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
drbatts said:
These repairs should just be considered routine maintenance for these yamaha engines at this point. Most local shops will stock the kits, and prices have seemed to come down a bit. In talking with my mechanic recently, he said they are now seeing problems in the F250s up to 2007. So I guess time will tell with the newer engines. If you are looking at any boat with these older yamahas the corrosion issue/repairs should either be done or be reflected in the sale price of the boat.

Good lord.... I hate to hear that. Hopefully your mechanic is misinformed or trying to scare you. I may need to pull my lower unit and take a peak. It showed no signs of a problem last fall.

wbdenamur

Reaction score
Good luck with the $1500 price. SIM Yamaha sells the kit with oil pump for around $1200. no mechanic will do it for $300 labor not to mention the other worn or corroded parts they may encounter, cost of oil and filter and sea trial. I hope they get that cost in writing ahead of time!

Fishtales

Reaction score
drbatts has it right. When you drop the lowers have them scoped. Very easy to do.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I was helping a friend change his water pump on an F225 and he had the issue. It definitely wasn't hard to see! I do my water pump every other season.

GW96

Reaction score
Gary S said:

2002 - 2005 in the F225. My brother has twin '05's, and they are rotten.

I've heard if the bottom of the powerhead/mating surface gets corroded too bad, it's new powerhead time. I know it can be welded, but you have to find someone that can do it. I guy I know who has done A LOT of them, said he's still hasn't come across anyone around here that can weld the powerhead or would be willing to.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The dealer told me that if corrosion went to the head we are talking a 20K repair which would probably mean time for new engines. They did not say if that was welding or new power head. They have scheduled the repair for mid winter so I have to wait in suspense to get the final verdict on how extensive the repair will be.

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have 2004 F225's and went through the mid section replacement 4 years ago. Caught it early.
The key is early detection.

The next hidden killer is the corroding thermostat housings. You can do the mid sections, then fall prey to this.
The wall of the block where T-stat resides corrodes to the extent a hole will develop. Water will blow out and get sucked into the air intakes. This will eventually blow the motor.
I highly recommend to you check the T-stats, and check the integrity of the t-stat housing wall.

I have also been "fortunate" to have caught this condition early. First time it was noticed, welded a sleeve into bad housing. The other three (have Twin F225's) were coated with aluminum infused epoxy. That was two years ago. This year as part of my scheduled maintenance, I have the t-stats housings checked and t-stats replaced. Upon inspection it was determined to sleeve all four. My mechanic has a tool to prep the housings and then press in an aluminum sleeve.
The pressed in aluminum sleeve (interference fit) is expected to last a few years. We'll see. I will check in 2 years.
Supposed to be better than welding, as no control over the aluminum in the welding rod.
I am not alone with this issue. Many blocks are presenting with the issue. inspection and counter measures are extending the lives of these motors. Motors run great, are very reliable, but fighting the metallurgy bug.

Oceanbean
2004 GW 282 F225
South Shore Long Island