GPS/Chartplotter under $500 any advice?VHF radio what model?

Zrob

Reaction score
Guys I am close to getting a boat, and it has no electronics in it. :shock:

The old timer said that he new the water better than some electronic device did!

Well I am too new to boating and I am not familiar to the water all I know is that -I love my gps that I have in my car! So is this a must have for a boater? If so what is a good one to buy under $500. Also what VHF model should I get say under $400.

For safety sakes, and since I will have kids on board I think some electronics are a necessity even though I am not planning on going to far out.

Any advice in this area is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For the VHF, either the Std Horizon Eclipse+ or Quest X. Both are less than $150. Add a good quality 8' antenna (Digital 529 or Shakespeare 5225) and a ratchet mount and you are done for around $300 or so.

For the GPS/FF Combo, the Garmin 520/521/530/531/540/541 are decent values for the $$. Pick the one you need for where you are....inland charts or coastal charts pre-installed. Also, if you want the higher resolution or can live with the TFT screen.

Check out BOE Marine.... http://www.boemarine.com

Jim and his crew are first class.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Inexpensive chartplotter.

$500 is a tough budget to get something that works and won't be a throwaway in a year or so.

Take a look at the Garmin 545S (stay away from the 540S - low screen resolution). GPS, chartplotter, sounder combo. Hummingbird and Lowarance may have similar units at better price points.

I would put a Icom IC-M304 or IC-M504 or Uniden UM425 or UM525 radio on.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Big vote for the ICOM, big vote for the Garmin, but bigger vote on to getting a paper chart of the area you boating and study it VERY VERY well, GPS are good when they WORK. NEVER rely on a GPS, is just a good aid and that's it.

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
ZROB,

Your budget is low,understandable. If you have a true desire for gps marine mapping than of course a fishfinding/depth chartplotter is something of a must have than an all eggs in one basket technology is good and a brand I can recomend is Garmin series 400's and 500's. You have to watch that some garmin units do not come with a transducer and can be an extra 70-150 dollars. I personally just baught a 541s that is a low resolution unit cheaper than the high resolution but I like the mapping better in the low resolution unit. It did come with a transducer for around $750.00. Look at the Garmin 430's as the screens are smaller but may be all you need and definatly cheaper. I personally think all of high def high quality picture resolution should be left to the offshore deep water guys.

As for a radio do not be affraid of handheld portable to get you going. Most of todays technology is very good in small packages. I have the cheaper radios on both my boats and get good reception. At the same time their are fine quality units for under $100.00 that will work as well for what you need close to shore and of course you have to figure at least another $100 for a good antenna, mount and hardware.

I will definatly recomend BOE Marine as a sales source that you can look at online and call. They do have very fair pricing and I do believe cheaper than your local big box marine retailer. In the market of budget I have shopped till I dropped and BOE is the place to be. :lol:

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
I should have said safety first, have a paper map on board and do not rely on your gps map as a turn by turn direction finder as in the car. Know your waters and use the electronics as an aid.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The depths on the GPS aren't always accurate.

I'm not sure if you're referring to your chartplotter or depthfinder. I would trust the depths from my depthfinder much more than a paper chart that could be 10, 15 years old. The same issues could exist from the maps in an electronic chartplotter. You should get a good general idea of depths and contours but nothing as good as your depthfinder. Many inlets have a problem with shifting sands that can change after every strong storm.

You would be wise to learn all the areas you normally fish/cruise so you can develop a feel to go along with your electronics.

All that being said I think your budget of $500 is going to be about half what you're going to have to spend to get the proper equipemtn you need. I would recommend the Garmin 5xx series chartplotters with transducer as others have recommended. As for the radio you could get a nice DSC capable Standard Horizon radio and good 8 foot antenna for aournd $250. I would stay away from using a handheld radio as my primary radio since the range will be greatly diminished due to the power and lack of antenna.

Good luck and hope this helps.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ditto on BOE marine-- Hard to beat Garmin for right priced chart plotters in my opinion..

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As far as vhf, only go with an ICOM, they are hands down the most reliable out there, they do cost more, but they are louder, clearer and crisper to hear, and from my experience last longer. Oh, and the pros use them which typically says a lot, they do have some cheaper models for about $150-200 which are a great value. As far as gps/FF for the price your looking, a garmin would likely be your best bet with a transom mount tri ducer. Garmin chartplotters are exellent quality and very user friendly, and their customer service is great, they have many units that are multi function units to both plot and use as a FF. Garmin FF are decent, not top grade, but for the price it will be hard to find anything better and they are a decent product. Get the biggest screen you can afford, or save up and wait for a bigger one if your close to the price but cannot swing it right now with the purchase and all. If you compromise, chances are you will want to upgrade very quickly.
Also, bad side to your budget is you need a vhf antenna as well, and a decent one isn't cheap, the ones under $100 are ok if you stay within 2-3 miles of the coast all the time, but if you will venture off more or far from your marina, a better antenna with a stronger dB rating will broadcast further, up to 25miles on a flat clear day, and min 15 miles in bad conditions, cheaper antennas might get 15-17 on good days with only 5-10 in bad conditions, and do not always broadcast and recieve as clearly as well. I also highly recommend spending another $30 down the road and getting an external speaker for the vhf, they can be added down the road, they are great to place near the helm aimed at the driver and cockpit, much louder and easier to hear when running. Also make sure you buy an NMEA cable that is compatible with whatever vhf and plotter you buy, they aren;t that expensive, but with your budget might need to be added later, but absolutely should be, here is why, this allows you to utilize dsc, which is a distress button that broadcasts your location through a vhf channel to both local boats and to authorities, also allows you to contact boats near by and send them your location and talk privately although I do not know many who really use that feature, but for safety, the cost of the cable is well worth it. DSC does not cost anything and takes 5 min online to apply for a number and another 5 to input it to your vhf, something we should all have set up if your radio is capable. As mentioned above, a handheld should NEVER EVER be your primary vhf, at max they get 15 miles, but mine which is a higher end model gets more like 10 miles clearly, in bad conditions maybe 5, which is the absolute min you want to cover, perferably you want the longest range you can afford, a handheld will be far from it. As a back up they are a great idea though and something maybe to add down the road. I have 2 vhf's a primary and secondary, both icom's, and then a handheld standard horizon hx850s, went with that brand and model for the built in gps for safety since I fish offshore and it goes in my ditch bag.

Zrob

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
.... a better antenna with a stronger dB rating will broadcast further, up to 25miles on a flat clear day, and min 15 miles in bad conditions, cheaper antennas might get 15-17 on good days with only 5-10 in bad conditions, and do not always broadcast and recieve as clearly as well.

Thanks for the great info! Yeah I do like the ICOM's!! What antenna can you recommend?

Great advice thanks again!!

GOA

Reaction score
For a bit more...I'd go with a SiTex ColorWide and the least expensive ICOM
GOA

Zrob

Reaction score
GOA said:
For a bit more...I'd go with a SiTex ColorWide and the least expensive ICOM
GOA

Looks good, thanks for the info!