GPS/CHARTPLOTTERS/FISHFINDERS and DOWNRIGGERS

Vtdochop

Reaction score
Hello all,
Ice has finally left Lake Champlain and I just received my GW225 yesterday. I would like to rig up the boat with GPS/FISHFINDERS and Downriggers...any suggestions? I have been looking at the CANNONLINK system...any comments ? Has anyone used the BERTS Fishing Tackle system ? Where would I best place the downriggers on a GW225 (03) I will be using the boat on Lake Champlain/Great lakes/ some limited offshore excursions Thanks for your imput.
Peter :D

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Peter,
I can't be of much help to you w/ regards to downriggers, but with regard to GPS/FF let me suggest you look @ Lowrance. I am putting an LCX 38C HD GPS/FF on my new Tournament 225 and after much research it was the best fit for me considering screen size, price, features etc. I know most people on this site are ate up w/ Garmin but I have had a great experience with Lowrance for over 20 years. A lot of the salt water guys go w/ Furuno or Garmin, but a lot of the freshwater guys like us use Lowrance. What ever you do I would try to get some hands on at a retailer or with a friend who has one. I have found good prices at eMarinesupplies.com. They are located in Wisc. Good luck with your search and let me know if you have any other questions about Lowrance.

Amigo

Reaction score
I troll for salmon on Lake Michigan on a 25 ft. Grady Sailfish. I have 3 downriggers on the boat.

Here are the products I used for mounting the downriggers. www.teclausa.com/bert/ I mounted 24" tracks directly to the gunnel covering the rear most rod holder. The swivel mount mounts in the tracks and the down rigger onto the swivel mount. I also have adjustble rod holders mounted on the tracks ahead of the downriggers. The 24" tracks allow for some front/back adjustment.

The Bert's products can also been purchased from Cabelas and is shown on their website.

In addition to the Cannon, Scotty and Big Jon take a look at Vector down riggers. I choose Vector and have not been sorry. The trend on the Great Lakes is toward fewer down riggers. There are other ways to get the lure down to the fish that are just as productive for less money.

In 2006 I purchased a Raymarine A65 combo GPS and fish finder. I really like the unit on Lake Michigan.

Brad1

Reaction score
I mounted two 12" Berts tracks on the rear gunwale of my boat (on each side, directly between the "notch" in the transom and the corner). I also installed two 6" tracks on the side gunwale. I use Berts swivel downrigger bases. I use Cannon downriggers. I have two electrics and two manuals. I have had good luch with Cannons. I purchased Big Jon components to make my planer board masts (reels and pulleys) and I'm very umimpressed with the Big Jon products. The pulleys bind and squeak and the reels are not very smooth. Berts products might be a little cheaper directly from their website as opposed to Cabelas. I know the Berts downrigger bases were cheaper from Berts website than they were at Cabelas website. I have Tite-Loc brand products on my small aluminum fishing boat. I like Berts products better. The Tite-Loc require the use of an allen wrench to adjust the position. No tools needed for Berts. Very nice stuff. Highly polished finished. Berts products are not cheap, but they are high quality. I didn't want to put cheap stuff on my Grady White.

One more thing that's nice about the Berts tracks. They have a removable starboard step insert. Very nice looking with the step in place.

reefer

Reaction score
sorry but why on earth would you want tracks on on your gunnel, sounds like a great place to gather dirt, grime and tear your clothing. Not to mention people stepping on them and bending them. Never once have I wished I could slide my downrigger forward by 3 inches - just mount them in the back corner and forget about it.

Just save yourself a ton of hassle and get the best downrigger made: SCOTTY.

They are bulletproof, have a incredible reputation and come with a lifetime warranty. Just about every single boat on the entire west coast of BC runs scotty and we wish in some harsh conditions.

Amigo

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to an opinion as Mr. Reefer has stated his. Mine is different regarding mounting tracks and down riggers.

It is my opinion that tracks do not gather dirt, grime nor tear your clothing. You can step on them without bending them. In fact you can easily remove you rigger and rod holders and insert a rubber step pad and step on them all day long.

In my opinion the best feature for track mounting allows for removal of the riggers and rod holders by removing only one hex head screw and sliding the riggers and rod holders out of the track. Riggers are often removed for winter storage, maintenance and when pulled long distances on a trailer.

Scotty’s are made by a West coats manufacturer and they are popular on the Pacific side. I have not fished with them so it is my opinion I should not say anything negative about them.

There are three manufacturers that I’m aware of that manufacturer down riggers in the Great Lakes area. I think I would be very safe in saying that all three manufacturers outsell Scotty in the Great Lakes region. There is a reason for that. It is this, besides making good products, the Great Lakes manufacturers spend lots of advertising dollars in the Great Lakes market. They sponsor tournaments, work with fishing clubs and assist non-profit groups promoting fishing. I’m sure Scotty does the same on the West coast.

I have not used Scotty and have not fished on a boat with Scotty riggers. However I have fish on boats with the other two Great Lakes downriggers and have heard little negative comments. I have fished with Vectors for 3 years, mounted on tracks with 4" high swivel bases, and I would not have it any other way. That’s my opinion.

reefer

Reaction score
Not trying to pick on you Amigo but why would you want your downrigger on tracks? I just can't think of a scenario where I would want my downrigger anywhere but the back corner of my boat.

Also scotties remove in about 5 seconds, I can guarantee you that they come off quicker then you can fiddle with a gimmicky track system. I know you feel the need to stick up for the system after you punched all those holes in your boat installing it - but come on, its a gimmick.

We fish 365 days a year in a harsh salt environment and not once have I seen or heard of a scotty downrigger failing. EVERY single guide boat on the west coast runs them, there MUST be a reason for that.

Any of the other guys offer a lifetime no questions asked warranty? Scotty does, although you'll never need it.

Just talk to anybody that owns them, they will rave about them just as much as me.

Vtdochop

Reaction score
A few questions.....I'd like to mount the downrigger in the back corner but the 225 Tournament does not have access to the underside in this area due to Livewell and fishbox...installer says he needs to place mounting plate beneath rigger. If I use the BERTS TRACKS can an ELECTRIC DOWNRIGGER be disconnected quickly or am I limited to manual models ?
Thanks, Peter :roll:

Brad1

Reaction score
I opt'd for tracks because I don't always use downriggers. Sometimes I use adjustable rod holders in those locations. Depends on what I'm fishing for. The four gunwale flush mount rod holders that Grady installed are nice, but they just don't provide the adjustability I need. Zero problem with tracks collecting dirt. Haven't got anything hung up on them either. They work great and offer versitility. For that matter, versatility is probably the biggest reason for choosing tracks. Another benefit to tracks is that they don't become an issue if you have a snug fitting custom cover and you want to add downriggers. With the tracks, you can remove the bases so they are not affecting how your cover fits. I'm still running the old style cannon swivel bases and they would definately pose a problem with a custom cover if I mounted them directly to the gunwale. With the Berts tracks, the fact that they add the removable step pad insert also makes them nice. They have a real clean (OEM like) look when you have the pad installed. Never know when I might decide to sell the boat and I would want it to be just as appealing to a potential buyer that might not be as serious a fisherman as I am. And speaking of selling the boat, with the tracks, I have the option of keeping my downriggers if I wanted to. The potential buyer really doesn't even have to know that I have downriggers. Where as, if you mount the downrigger bases directly onto the gunwales, that makes the downriggers part of the boat should you go to sell.

Brad1

Reaction score
Vtdochop said:
A few questions.....I'd like to mount the downrigger in the back corner but the 225 Tournament does not have access to the underside in this area due to Livewell and fishbox...installer says he needs to place mounting plate beneath rigger. If I use the BERTS TRACKS can an ELECTRIC DOWNRIGGER be disconnected quickly or am I limited to manual models ?
Thanks, Peter :roll:

With Cannons, there is a plug for the wiring. Unplug them and take them off the bases. With the Bert's bases, the non-swivel part (top portion of the OEM base) attaches to the the Bert's base. So if your downriggers have a quick removal base, that will still be the case with the Berts bases. Only difference is that the swivel aspect of it, will be provided by the Berts base (should you opt for the swivel Berts base). Also, you can remove the Berts base, leaving only the track protruding (which helps if you already have a custom cover).

What will your installer be using for backing plates? If he is using aluminum plate, it might be a waste. Here's why, check out underside surface of the gunwale. Be careful, it's anything but smooth. Actually, it's rough with alot of bumps. How much of the backing place will actually be touching the underside of the gunwale? Answer: only where the bumps contact the plate. When I installed the 12" berts tracks, I opt'd for large fender washers on the back side of the six screws that attach the track. The wood in the gunwale is pretty thick to begin with.

leek

Reaction score
Downriggers

I purchased the Cannon Digi Troll IV for my 38' fishing boat in 2000. By 2004 I had so many problems (and no real availability for service) that I gave up $1000 worth of equipment and went to Scotty's. They are simple, pretty bulletproof and tough. Local service is available as well.
For saltwater salmon fishing they are the best option available in my opinion. Great Lakes may be different.
I am running Furuno on the electronics side.
Just bout at T 225 and am looking forward to fitting it out.

Vtdochop

Reaction score
:lol: Again alot of great info..thanks. I'll be putting a 3 ' BERT TRACK on the gunnels...no other options...seems to make great sense. For the Scotty fans is there a quick disconnect ? Has anyone used the Cannon Mag 20 HS...Any feedback on the CANNONLINK System ? The GW 225 is an 03 model and the GPS FISHFINDER was removed before sale...does have a transom mounted AIRMAR P66 Transducer in place with the Garmin external GPS antenna in place. Any suggestions on what type of GARMIN GPS/Fishfinder could fit for this season or do I just get a GARMIN 240 Blue on ebay for starters..thanks :roll:

Seahunter

Reaction score
I have 2 - 0 degree flush mount rod holders in the gunwale on the transom and use the rod holder type downrigger mounts.

reefer

Reaction score
still can't figure out why you want a track, but good luck. Yes scotty is a quick disconnect attachment - no tools required.

The thing you have to remember about the cannon depth sounder link is you still have a rod that is not automatic. Everytime that downrigger automatically goes down you are going to pop your clips or if it comes up you have extra slack in your line. I don't get it.

Vtdochop

Reaction score
Reefer...Good point 8) guess I'll have to get up anyways..what GPS/FISHFINDER do you use ? Do you think I could Gimble mount the Rigger ?...as no access to back corner...GW 225 HAS 9'' ROD HOLDERS
Peter

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
GPS/FF

I would recommend the the Raymarine A65. I agree w/ the earlier post that the Lowrance is a great unit but the most important question is whether you'll be using your unit primarily for GPS or for Sonar. Raymarine uses the best digital sounding technology available. Where your traditional analog sounders send out about 1 'ping' per second, the Ray digi. sends out over 200 'pings' per second giving absolute incredible detail at great depths.