gps combo unit help

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have decided to get a new color gps/fishfinder combo
Budget is 600-700.

I was about to purchase the Gamin 521s. But noticed that standard horizon has a combo unit that is quite attractive.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS. ... Archived=0

I went to westmarine and tooled around with the 521s,600s series. I like it. I just thought the vert screen was a bit tight in split mode. But in full screen it was good and clear and really, how often am I going to use split screen.

But, after checking out the new horizon model cpf180i ( has an emulator online) I am thinking of going with this one. I am not sure if anyone else out there has one , but if you do, could you give me some input or any input with NH GPS products. The thing I really like is it's wide screen, and the split screen is easy to see both at one time. Also, that it is radar ready for about another 1k if I every decide to get one. Can get NH unit for less than 550.00 with the ducer and maps (admiral likes that). My vhf radio is standard horizon as well so I am thinking it would complement the dsc features of the radio as well.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GPS

I just purchased a back up unite for my Marlin, the Standard Horizon 300 which is a 7" machine from West Marine. They had it listed for $899 but I found it on line for $689, called West Marine and they matched the price. I havent installed yet, soon as weather breaks.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My old boat had a standard vhf and the garmin interfaced well with it. Standard Vertex makes some very nice transcievers from marine to aircraft to amature radio. I suspect their quality would be no different for their gps recievers. How is the cartogrophy? Do they use other maps or is it proprietary like Garmin?

whittlinden

Reaction score
8) I have the Garmin GPS MAP498,I am happy with it for ease of use,it came with the 1989-22 seafarer I bought from a buddy.I use the full screen map to get to a waypoint,and the split for trolling or drifting,as it includes your speed,that is important to me after I arrive.after you get into deep water you do not get the bottom image,only the depth in feet.That is 300 feet or deeper.I live in Maryland and had to get away from the snow so I hooked up and headed for the Keys,were i am finding my way around just fine.Catching some King Mackeral,and too many Barracuda,and a couple Mahi-Mahi when it's not too windy to go out that far past the reef line.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Get as big a screen as your budget allows.....

There are some Garmin 3206s out there for less than $700. You will need the GSD-21 sounder which runs about $200 or so and a transom transducer (another $50-$60) but for a combo unit, the bigger screen makes all the difference in the world.