GPS / Fishfinder for Adventure 208

Ttallman

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I recently purchased a 2002 Adventure 208 and it has a Garmin Striker 5dv. I like the size because it fits in the lockable "glovebox" where it's mounted and I'm fine with most features except that it doesn't accept charts. The bay where I run it has sand bars and shallow sections so I woudl like to see those before i get there instead of just reading what is directly below me.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar unit that has the chart feature and preferably has the same connection for the power and tranducer cable so I don't have to redo all of that. I would appreciate any advice.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

rprieser

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I recently upgraded my GPS/Sounder to the Garmin Ecomap which worked out fine. Solid unit, the power was the same but I doubt the transducer will be the same. Maybe others on the string know? Mine was a 9" cost $799.00 with a $100 rebate.

seasick

Reaction score
I have two 5 inch displays in my electronics box; one I used as the plotter and one as sonar ( it is a combo but I use it only for fishfinder functions) I do not have my VHF radio in the box, it is mounted below the dash. As I and my eyes get older, the 5 inch screens ate a bit harder to see. You could fit a 7 inch display, maybe two of them. Maybe a single 9 inch would fit with a bit of work. In any case, if you want to see maps and sonar, a single 5 inch display is just too small. A single 7 might be also. My 2- 5 inch displays is a decent compromise.
My displays are gimble mounted and I remove both after every trip.

J

jason808

I have an echomap 74sv uhd which is a nice one, and the charts are pretty good on it.
The power "should fit", they are both 4pin. If you post a picture of the cable end I can tell you if it will fit.
but if not you can splice the power connecter from the striker to the echomap.
Also not sure what transducer you have, but you will probably need an adapter.
For example the garmin 74sv echomap uhd has a 12 pin connector, and your model takes a 4 pin connector, so need to get
an adapter

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Look carefully at the installation dimensions on the various garmin units - - they tend to be smaller than you would think compared to the diagonal screen size measurement that they use to describe each unit. I suspect the box may have changed sizes over the years, but I was able to fit a 8612XSV in the box of my 2021 208. The installer initially thought it wouldn't fit until we took a closer look at the dimensions. We did have to modify the bracket a bit, but it had plenty of room.

Ttallman

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thank you for all of the information, its much appreciated

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I recently purchased a 2002 Adventure 208 and it has a Garmin Striker 5dv. I like the size because it fits in the lockable "glovebox" where it's mounted and I'm fine with most features except that it doesn't accept charts. The bay where I run it has sand bars and shallow sections so I woudl like to see those before i get there instead of just reading what is directly below me. .
Sounds like you want a forward scan transducer or at least good charts.
I just this week finally made time to remove my ancient Faruno sonar/gps to replace it with a Simrad Go9. I bought mine with all available charts for the east coast and inland waters. Needless to say they are very well detailed. The unit is easy to use as a tablet which it resembles. In 7 years I never did fully figure out how to operate the Faruno but this I got in 5 minutes. :)
It is set up for a variety additional equipment like radar and “forward scan”.
This sounds like what your asking about. My Go9 unit is probably too large for in a helm box, mine is mounted on the dash but the Go7 might fit though you’d have to double check if it works with the forward scan feature.
I took some quick shots from my manual on the pages that cover forward scan so that you can get an idea of what it is.
Hope this helps...
D50FCA3F-FE6A-4097-B453-AF1699FC8263.jpeg
F82BA25F-F8BA-42B6-80FF-78FE9378B4EF.jpeg
4C928069-6822-41C1-B127-BC34CB2F5A3E.jpeg
BCA1FC6B-389E-44A8-8FD1-370168674FA3.jpeg
26B39DEF-483E-4C5D-9FAE-C21EB1DE0EDA.jpeg

seasick

Reaction score
By the time you see a forward problem and react, your speed will determine if you avoid the bottom or run aground. Get a plotter with good charts and updates as a general guide and go slow when in shallows.
If you are going 10 knots the time to go 20 feet, about the length of the boat is 1 second, not a lot of time to notice, react, and stop forward movement.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I recently purchased a 2002 Adventure 208 and it has a Garmin Striker 5dv. I like the size because it fits in the lockable "glovebox" where it's mounted and I'm fine with most features except that it doesn't accept charts. The bay where I run it has sand bars and shallow sections so I woudl like to see those before i get there instead of just reading what is directly below me.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar unit that has the chart feature and preferably has the same connection for the power and tranducer cable so I don't have to redo all of that. I would appreciate any advice.
In my opinion...Striker is dummied down...like buying an AM/FM/Cassette. What you don't get isn't worth not paying for it....

The Echomap sv series is a nice step up from Striker. While you "could" use an adapter on the transducer, you won't get any of the benefit of sidescan. Also, You can probably get an Echo with included sidescan transducer for almost the same price as one without a transducer. FYI, "last years model" Garmin is always a bargain as Garmin does not allow discounting this years model. ...appears supply of old PLUS models is drying up....
Make sure you get the BlueCharts 3g (US Coastal) NOT the Lakevu charts. Model numbers with a 4 not a 3...

Get the biggest one you can fit. The frames are narrower than Striker so you fit bigger screen.
I used an Echo for a few years and it was good for coastal Jersey fishing in a 20 footer.

If you ever intend to have radar and/or multiple displays and sonars, then get GPS MAP series.

Ttallman

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
That's great information skunk, thank you. The more I think about it the more I agree with changing the transducer to get the full functionality of an upgraded unit

nightfighter

Reaction score
Garmin Echomap 94 SV UHD is great. Easy install, just run a messenger when removing old transducer. Videos on the web on install, functions etc. Put it on top of your console. Unit comes unclipped from bracket so you can stow it away or take it with you.