GPS Powering off

Neckerindux

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

JUst prior to winter lay up, I notoced the GPS (garmin 172c) would power off, while underway. On the trailer in the driveway stayed on all day. I'm thinking a loose wire, and will probably just redo the connections. But if anyone has thought to the contrary, I'm listening.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Neckerindux said:
Hi Guys,

JUst prior to winter lay up, I notoced the GPS (garmin 172c) would power off, while underway. On the trailer in the driveway stayed on all day. I'm thinking a loose wire, and will probably just redo the connections. But if anyone has thought to the contrary, I'm listening.

I think more likely a corroded connection vs. a loose wire - redo the connections and cut back wires to ensure good clean contact and should be good to go -

Tim

seasick

Reaction score
If it powers off while under power, its probably something loose.(most likely)
If it powers off after (while) you restart the motor, its probably due to a voltage drop due to either a bad connection, too much load, or bad battery.

uncljohn

Reaction score
Mine did that a year ago and I just had to clean off the wire contacts and reconnect to the battery & bus bar. It was a voltage issue. Also happened when I switched to a battery that was almost dead.

Neckerindux

Reaction score
:x I have had to redo every install the dealer did. I guess this just rounds it off. Thanks for the responses, this is a great site. Happy New Year

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Neckerindux said:
In line, and then again at the board, I believe.

If you have yet to weed out the cause, change the inline fuse holder to the automotive type. I have found it to be the culprit / solution in several Garmin installations where the unit quits while 'underway' with the supplied in-line fuse in place.