GPS Question

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am thinking of replacing my GPS unit on my Adventure with a new Lowrance. I see them as having an internal GPS antenna. Will these units work mounted under a hardtop or will I have to buy an external antenna? I am not planning to add radar.

seasick

Reaction score
most likely it will work. I know of two HDS units inside helms with hard tops and full enclosures, Both work fine on internal antenas. My HDS works inside my house....

catch22

Reaction score
It probably will work, but imo, I wouldn't chance it with a hardtop. I'd go with an external antenna.

seasick

Reaction score
You don't lose anything my trying. If it has issues you will have to add the antenna which is NMEA networked. I would bet a beer that it works perfectly fine.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It will work, as others have said. I have the Lowrance HD's on my boat, and they work, flush-mounted and under a hardtop. But I installed the external GPS too, as it has a faster aquisition and update speed, and you can select a setting in the HD, such that it will use the GPS with the most accurate fix. That way, if the primary failed, you still have navi. That feature is work the cost of the external to me.

seasick

Reaction score
On a small vessel like this it is unlikely you will have multiple HDS heads:)
If an external antenna is needed, the LGC-4000 is the part but note that in addition to this receiver, you need to build a NMEA 2000 network to connect it to. That will require a NMEA starter kit with power node and a connection to 12 volts to power the network ( and antenna).
My advice is to try the HDS with internal antenna first. Now if you plan on other NMEA devices and have to install the network anyway, adding the antenna is easier. Note that you have to locate the network connectors and cables somewhere, back of electronics box is easiest but depending on what you have in there, space may be limited.