GPS shuts down on starting outboard

dobson_c

Reaction score
Howdy,

My GPS (a Furuno 1650DF) switches off everytime I kickover the motor. Its quite a pain after a drift, especially when you want to go back to your waypoint.

I'm currently blame this inconvenience for my lack of successful fishing! :)

I have a 228 with twin batteries and a 1,2,both,off switch. I'm normally running on # 1 or 2, never Both

Any ideas?

Cheers

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Its a voltage issue...when it drops below a certain point (like when you are starting your engine) it automatically shuts the unit off.

I had a Furuno 1650 and it did the same thing....was a nuisance.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
dobson_c said:
I'm currently blame this inconvenience for my lack of successful fishing! :)

So, if someone on here provided you a quick, easy solution to the GPS shutdown problem, what would you use as an excuse for the lousy fishng? :lol: :lol: :lol:

As noted above, your voltage supply to the GPS is dipping below the minimum allowable by that unit when you are starting your engine. Solution: change your electrical distribution to have a dedicated "housebank", separate from the starting battery (ies).

My electronics never cycle with engine starts.

Brian

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Modern electronics have become more sensitive to voltage drops. Which means their power supplies are cheap skate designs.

My old Sitex 106,I used to have, and Garmin 2006C I still have, never restarted upon motor start.

My (stinkin) Raymarine system restarts when I use the washdown hose!

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
BobP said:
Modern electronics have become more sensitive to voltage drops. Which means their power supplies are cheap skate designs.

My old Sitex 106,I used to have, and Garmin 2006C I still have, never restarted upon motor start.

My (stinkin) Raymarine system restarts when I use the washdown hose!

Time to rewire the boat, Bob. :wink:

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Dobson,

How old are your batteries? When batteries get old, often the first sign they are getting weak is a larger voltage drop when starting the engine (and thus resetting your electronics due to low voltage). If they are a few years old, it might be time to replace.

As an experiment, if you haven't already done so, try starting with the battery switch on BOTH to see if the electronics shut off.

Eric

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you have the secondary charging system, consider running your sensitive electronics off the battery you don't use for starting.

I have a marine cranking in position 1, and a big deep cycle in position 2. Mostly run everything on 2, including the battery selector. But the auto-bildge pump is hardwired to 1, and the secondary charging goes to it, so it stays topped up. If I had the same problem, which I don't with a Lowrance combo unit (could be your battery as mentioned) then I would hard-wire it with an inline fuse/breaker to that battery. That way you wouldn't get the voltage drop on start.

My stereo does that, but it just comes back on. :wink:

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Get bigger or new batteries, batteries are typically the bigges culprit, on older boats wiring can be a cause as the wires carrode and are not as efficient as they sued to be and do not allow voltage to pass as well. What type and size battery are you using? This may help us troubleshoot your issue much better. Have west marine load test the batteries to see if they are ready to be replaced and nolonger holding a charge, its free and easy to do.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great advice guys....i just realised my Furuno hasn't shut down since I replaced both house batteries some 6 months ago....

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Already upgraded wring, doesn't matter.

Starting the drive motor or any pump motor starting draws a lot of current for a sort period wink-of-an-eye time, modern electronics can't ride thru it.

Once the voltage drops below the specified low end spec, instantaneously, it's lights out on electronics and restart.

pilotart

Reaction score
You may have noticed that your automobile sound system shuts down during engine starting.

Since you can also experience high voltage 'spikes' (from the starter motor windings) during engine starting,
it is advisable to turn electronics off for engine starting,
or have them operating on a different battery and buss to protect your electronics.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
BobP said:
Already upgraded wring, doesn't matter.

Starting the drive motor or any pump motor starting draws a lot of current for a sort period wink-of-an-eye time, modern electronics can't ride thru it.

Once the voltage drops below the specified low end spec, instantaneously, it's lights out on electronics and restart.

I was being a bit facetious in my previous comment, but there seems like there is something wrong. The new Raymarine products are spec'ed to accept an input voltage of 10.7 to 32 volts. Even when starting, your voltage shouldn't drop below 10.7, not even for an instant.

seasick

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
Get bigger or new batteries, batteries are typically the bigges culprit, on older boats wiring can be a cause as the wires carrode and are not as efficient as they sued to be and do not allow voltage to pass as well. What type and size battery are you using? This may help us troubleshoot your issue much better. Have west marine load test the batteries to see if they are ready to be replaced and nolonger holding a charge, its free and easy to do.

Bigger won't help. It is a voltage drop issue and a bigger battery will have the same charged voltage as a smaller one. There is either a bad wire or connection ( assuming the unit hasn't always reset) or the cabling in general is undersized.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I agree with Seasick and others. My 192 started to have this problem and corrosion was the culprit on the control switches and wiring harness connections/joints. We had to rewire a couple connections and clean the contacts on all the others. Do not under estimate how corrosion will effect both voltage and current flow through a wire.

I have a new left over 2008 Seafarer with the latest GPS technology and we have no issues with starting and the GPS shutting off. My VHF does not shut off either, but my Alpine CDMA stero controller does wink out like a car audio system when going from accessory to start/run position. :? Never really gave it any thought until reading this thread. They are all wired to the same fuse block in the overhead ebox in the hardtop.

little jenny

Reaction score
i had this problem on my previous boat a grady white 247 advance. every time i started the engine my gps and fish finder would crash it drove me nuts . what i did was install a start guard into the ignition purchased from consumers marine about 150 dollars and no more problem. it took about an hour to do and was fairly easy

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
You can try new batteries and wire as described above but you may still have the voltage drop/low battery issue - You should do those things either way as they are the correct way to be wired/operate the boat. however, if you want to end this nuisance once and for all install a line conditioner between your batteries and the electronics panel. It prevents spikes and "Loads" itself to prevent drops in voltage. I have 5 batteries. @ linked to start engine #1 and operate the "House bank". 2 linked to operate engine's #2 & #3 - Isolated. 1 to operate the thruster. I added a second dockside charger to the system to keep them in peak shape. EVEN with all of this when out for an overnight I would experience voltage drops. Installed the conditioner and - problem solved - forever.

dobson_c

Reaction score
Thanks guys - I've just been putting up with the nuisance, and becoming much better with my compass when re-setting the drift!

I think I'll look at the power conditioner option. If I buy and install, I'll feedback to the forum.