Grady 205 Biggest GPS?

Bertb

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m looking to see the largest gps model folks have been able to flush mount.

thanks

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm thinking that there will be several different variables here, like what year your boat is and the style of the dash, your budget, brand that you want to go with and so forth. I don't have a 205 Tournament, though I do have a 228 Seafarer and bought a Garmin 943xsv last summer, which is a 9" touchscreen unit, and I think it works perfectly on my boat. On an even smaller boat like yours, I think a 9"-10" screen would be plenty big, and something that's 12" and above would very likely be overkill. I'd measure the area you're referring to, maybe even get the dimensions of what you're considering buying, cut out a template with cardboard or similar and see if it's about the size range you're looking for. As stated, I think a 12" display will be overkill, I think even something like that on a bigger boat like mine, would likely even be a bit overkill, and I'm a big proponent of utilizing two smaller sized screens over one larger one anyway. Another thing that you could do is go into your local West Marine or marine shop, see what they have and go from there. Everyone has different preferences for brand, I prefer Garmin because of how simple and easy they are to use, and they have all the features that I need with them. I'm sure others will be along shortly to chime in, but that's my opinion on the matter.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
As Mustang mentioned, pick out the unit(s) you think you want. Then go to their spec sheets to get the rough and finish size openings. Cut out some paper or cardboard to the spec sizes and see what fits. When it comes to screen size and resolution, I'm one of those "bigger is better" guys.

Fishtales

Reaction score
First you need to find the biggest possible within the dash. I'd start by shooting an email to GW and ask them and in parallel do your own measurements (top side and under the dash). Sometimes it can appear on the top side to be more room, really need to see what is under though and go by this. Remember not to place too close to the compass as electronics can affect it. Some good advice above once you have the measurements. Figure out what features and functions you want and will use the most. Look at font sizes on the screen, are they adequate for your application? Do you plan on multiple screens simultaneously? If so, bigger is better. I think the smaller GWs are dash stared, so you probably should go with the biggest that can fit.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Flush mounted my Simrad NSS12 Evo3 on my 228. Fit fine. Just need to see what kind of real estate you have and figure out what you want. I had 2 Lowrance Carbon 7's mounted side by side and hated them,,, much happier with the single large unit.

20210730_193404.jpg20210424_135947.jpg

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Garmin 8612xsv in 268 Islander. Had to resize opening and frame with Starboard for flush mount. Hidden fasteners to hold frame in.

IMG_2069.jpeg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a 205. You can get a 10" screen in there, although you won't be able to also get your VHF there too. You can either move your VHF down to your knees where it's useless, or go with a RAM mic type setup that controls everything.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think like Ky Grady mentioned above about the dual 7" screens, would likely be a bit too small, but I do think that dual 9" screens would be a great option for those who want multiple screens. I've used dual 9" screens before on a different boat and really liked it, I used one for my radar and the other for fishing and/or navigation. Dual 9" screens can oftentimes also be a bit cheaper than buying a single 12" screen as well. And if you're running radar, navigation, and sonar on a single screen it can look a bit cluttered, opposed to having multiple screens.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is a picture of the console on my previous Grady. It was a 2005, 205 model. I installed a 9 inch SIMRAD without moving the VHF. I would have moved the radio and installed a 12 in MFD but my wallet wouldn't fit.

Attachments

• IMG_0746.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Neckbone

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Garmin 8612xsv in 268 Islander. Had to resize opening and frame with Starboard for flush mount. Hidden fasteners to hold frame in.

View attachment 28279
If you have any pics of the process and pictures from other angles I would greatly appreciate!! Drawing up plans for something similar

Coastboater

Reaction score
You may want to consider a new dash panel. This is a dash from a Freedom 225 that I ordered a custom panel from New Wire Marine. All the cut outs were done by them In a carbon fiber substrate. The toggle switches/breakers didn’t need to be rewired once the factory zip ties were cut as there was enough wire to reach the new switch locations. That’s a 9” display.
I moved the VHF down to the lower panel.IMG_0366.jpegIMG_0554.jpeg

Neckbone

Reaction score
Model
Islander
You may want to consider a new dash panel. This is a dash from a Freedom 225 that I ordered a custom panel from New Wire Marine. All the cut outs were done by them In a carbon fiber substrate. The toggle switches/breakers didn’t need to be rewired once the factory zip ties were cut as there was enough wire to reach the new switch locations. That’s a 9” display.
I moved the VHF down to the lower panel.View attachment 31901View attachment 31902
I def will be doing a new dash panel, problem is I dont have as much real estate as I would like. If you look back to Hookup1's post, that is what I am working with. Kind of a split dash set up that was designed far before any of these big screens were the norm

Reactions: Coastboater

Freedom 205

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Is the helm the same size between a 225 and 205? The dash layout (with 9" Axiom +) looks the same, see photo attached
Anyone have the exact dimensions measurements? Boat is stored away

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Is the helm the same size between a 225 and 205? The dash layout (with 9" Axiom +) looks the same, see photo attached
Anyone have the exact dimensions measurements? Boat is stored away
Depending on the year, the dash bezel/layout looks completely different to me. Even the two dash bezel styles that are similar, aren't. On the older 225 Tournament models, you've got a squared off or rectangular dash/dash bezel. On the newer models, you've got two rows of five switches, all of which are on the bottom half of the dash bezel and before the "flared off" portion of the dash. Whereas on the 205 Tournament, the switches take up almost maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of that side of the dash bezel. Even when looking at the two and comparing them side by side, the "flared off" portion of the dash bezel on the one is maybe a couple of inches, whereas the other is at least half of the dash bezel itself. Here are some of the old brochures with some pictures to reference.

Freedom 205

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Sorry if I wasnt clear. New Wire is cutting a carbon fiber panel only to fit over the upper part of the existing 2013 Freedom 205 console.
Was hoping someone had the dimensions I could use to give them to cut the panel. Thanks

Attachments

• Dream Console 2.jpg
    Dream Console 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • GW Helm Dimensions 1.jpg
    GW Helm Dimensions 1.jpg
    820.1 KB · Views: 7